Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Another salty m1 helmet

Article about: Hi folks, during my quest to refurbish an m1 i began to look around for spares etc, i was not happy with the liner i got as it is 1972 issue so evilbay it was, i found an older liner battere

Nice helmet, the bales are swivel not fixed and with a front seam stainless rim, it would date the helmet to mid-late 1944.

Harry

Hi, thanks i will get some better pics up soon, like i say paint aside it is in good nick.

The same pot today i had a couple of hours to kill so a splash of OD (no stripping on this) a net i had from another project, repro strap darkened with linseed oil and some mud from the garden, need some A straps etc.
    Another salty m1 helmet
    Another salty m1 helmet
    Another salty m1 helmet

?

Sorry I missed this one, but from beginning to end it look's great, pity about the original liner being "misplaced" it annoy's me when that happen's when ebay sellers pull that one. The blue looked like UN blue to me, not USN but I do not believe the US forces painted there M1's in this fashion even when involved in UN missions. This might lead to be being used by another nation..the list is endless there. I like the final result it look's really great with net and some ageing.

I have a similar pot that has the dimple between the bales , I always thought that it was a situation where the pot would have been originally fixed and later on swivel bales were added

Cheers bud, it took like i say 2 hours or so, didnt like the blue and OD was still underneath its battered and chipped, the been there look, regards the liner i will see what i can do, may just put some repro straps on and age them too, the whole thing was bought for spares which i never used.

?

Quote by Opex View Post
    The blue looked like UN blue to me, not USN but I do not believe the US forces painted there M1's in this fashion even when involved in UN missions. This might lead to be being used by another nation..
    Agreed, looks to be a UN helmet. There were many nations that used U.S. manufactured M-1's, this helmet could have come from anyone of a dozen nations involved in UN peacekeeping

As you see in the first pics inside is still OD, the blue was applied poorly on the outside, what i do know is it is an early McCord and that will do for me just knowing it is period. still more work to do to this one.

Just to add I don't know if this would apply to this helmet but during ordance training in the early 70's steel pots like this were painted blue ones worn by the range personnel and ones used to show training such as placing a blasting cap under one and watching how high it went in the air I guess just to show the power of a cap had also seen them used to illustrate damage done by a claymore mine maybe not having a connection to this one but I just remember that deep blue color to them Nice M-1 Btw. timothy

Cheers Timothy, another feature of this pot as Jake states are the dimples on the rim / bales. This was earmarked or actually had D bales (Airbourne?) maybe, the present set of swivels are replacement at some time. Its a pity i can not see the heatstamp.

?

Dimples don't mean that it was a D-loop helmet. Dimples can be found on fixed loop helmets manufactured during that same time period. It just so happens that it was during the short time period that McCord built the D-loop that they also incorporated the dimple.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast