Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any Thoughts on This Helmet - US NAVY?

Article about: Thanks for the input. I thought the paint looked good on this one. I also liked the fact that it is an early helmet. I usually see FBs go for \\$60-\\$80 on ebay without the liners. This one was

Default Any Thoughts on This Helmet - US NAVY?

I took a chance on this helmet shell and bid $20 on ebay. It is painted a light blue color. Front seam helmet so likely WWII era. Is this a Navy helmet? The seller says it may be from the Penna. Military academy but I can not find any pics of them wearing helmets. Any thoughts?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any Thoughts on This Helmet - US NAVY?   Any Thoughts on This Helmet - US NAVY?  

Any Thoughts on This Helmet - US NAVY?   Any Thoughts on This Helmet - US NAVY?  

Last edited by anton67; 06-17-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Default Re: Any Thoughts on This Helmet - US NAVY?

I ended up losing the ebay auction but I am still curious about the helmet. I wasnt going to pay more than $25 (including shipping) for the helmet since it had no liner. It ended up going for $27.59 + $7.70 shipping.

If front seam, it was definitely a WWII vintage helmet. It could very well be a USN helmet, but there really is no way to tell. From the pics, it looks like there is green with cork texture peeking through in spots?

The pics provided by the seller are pretty poor quality wise. There's a small chance the helmet could have been a makeshift winter white wash, or just something someone messed with post-war.

With all of this being said, I am leaning towards it being a USN lid. There were no set regulations on USN helmets back then... I've seen anything from "normal" green, gray, light blue, dark navy blue, black, and of course red for helmets that were meant for sailors to wear while fighting fires aboard ship.

On top of the main color variations, I've seen USN helmets with no markings, or with any variation of stencils of "USN", number of the battle station the helmet belonged to, number ship the helmet served on, or the specific specialization the sailor who wore it had (i.e. radio man).
    Last edited by GIZMO8Z; 06-17-2012 at 08:29 PM.

?

Certainly looks Navy. For $27 I'd have bought it.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Without a doubt, a WW2 produced lid. Front seam, stainless steel rim. Judging by the weld marks on the brim, and the shape, I would say a McCord. And I've seen color video stills of sailors wearing that color, or very similar. I would say Navy too, either that or a post war Police Department?

EDIT....

Looks like a light blue to me, judging it by the color of the shirt, the gray of the kapok and the green of the Marines near him?

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up getting this one instead for $27 + shipping. The chinstrap is in worse condition but the outside of the shell is much nicer IMHO.
    What do you think. I would also assume this one is Navy. This is also a front seam.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Any Thoughts on This Helmet - US NAVY?   Any Thoughts on This Helmet - US NAVY?  

?

Good WW2 Navy lid Anton, and for $27 you stole it mate!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Yup...both look to be USN WWII vintage shells and for 27 bucks, you really can't go wrong in my opionion, especially with ANY WWII shell that still has a complete origianl chin strap.

The helmet you ended up purchasing has a very tell tale sign of being USN, besides the color of course and that is how the chin strap is broken off. The salt air played a toll on the chin strap material and it is very common to find breaks that look just like this on old navy lids, as oppose to an army lid that is usually torn off near the bail, were the strap rubs the rim of the shell.

Oh, and you can't ignor the corrosion on the chin strap hook, another tell tail sign of a navy lid.

Russ

Thanks a lot guys for your input.
    I really do appreciate the help.
    I went ebay crazy this week and I also got this fixed bale shell for $90.
    Any thoughts on her? Supposedly it is a McCord with a lot number of 49.
    The bales look like they may have been repaired at some point but I am not sure.
    Luckily I have 2 spare liners for them.

The FB looks pretty straight from the photos and sure does look like the bails have been "repaired". Most of the time, broken FB were replaced with swivel bails so this must have been repaired before the SB configuration came out, or it is a post war "garage" repair. A bit pricy for a FB with no chin strap, you can find them for 30-40 bucks (with no strap) if you keep your eyes open. The liner is what tends to cost the money. You should be able to see the heat stamp and if no large "S" above the heat stamp then it is a McCord.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast