Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Australian issue refurbished US M1?

Article about: Hello All, I have just purchased an old box of Australian made and issued military gear all dated from the early 1970's. This M1 helmet was in with the lot and has me a little confused as to

Default Australian issue refurbished US M1?

Hello All,

I have just purchased an old box of Australian made and issued military gear all dated from the early 1970's. This M1 helmet was in with the lot and has me a little confused as to it's origins.
    The shell is an early US made front seam with stainless rim, clear heat stamp '36 B', the shell has had swivel bales installed (one quite roughly) - A very rough textured repaint. It has Nam era anchor marked chinstraps - either US or Aussie made. It would appear that the liner and liner webbing is un-marked - Characteristics of an Australian issue but curiously no sign of the white stamp on so many others. It has a US made 1970's ERDL cover that had been on there for some time.

It is my understanding that Australia built it's own M1 clones, and would not have the need to refurbish old US pots. I guess it could well be one that had been thrown together, but It did not have that feel to it. What is really throwing me off is the name "Mitchell" is written on the sweatband and this name is also marked on several items of the arrow marked 1970's Aussie gear shown in pic

Any opinions on this?

Best regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian issue refurbished US M1?   Australian issue refurbished US M1?  

Australian issue refurbished US M1?   Australian issue refurbished US M1?  

Last edited by christek; 03-06-2014 at 02:10 PM.

I think I have partially answered my own question.

It would appear that it was a cadet helmet, used from the 1970's onwards. All the gear that accompanied this helmet (and faintly on the helmet cover itself) is marked W.C.C.U. Which stands for Waverley College Cadet Unit (Sydney).

Interesting where these old pots end up!

Regards

Hi chris that shell is so typical of the late 70's storage revamps with the O.T.T texture etc,but usually these were sold off in bulk auctions,strange how its ended up way over in your pond,I think the US suppied Australian troops prior to producing there own m1 which i think was in the early 70's by which time the Vietnam war was winding down,the liner as you say normally has the stamping,is there any sort of mold mark in the crown?still a good find and one of the lowest heatstamps available to view,well done mate........

G'day Jake,

Great info, much appreciated

On second inspection and after removing the sweatband, it has a mark on the webbing. A bit hard to make out exactly but it confirms a US liner. Pretty sure the date is 18 FEB 64. The sweatband is dated DSA-1-4813 (1965 I think?). No sign of mold mark in the crown, any idea on the manufacturer? I have been looking for a Nam era US liner as the closest I had is an early 62 firestone. Got the M1 and a fair bit of 70's kit for $30, can't complain!

Best regards,
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian issue refurbished US M1?   Australian issue refurbished US M1?  

Yep got the twin to this liner,its a Marmac industries combat m1 helmet liner,i tried selling mine here in the UK and had no interest at all,and yet this is from the very first batch contract issued in the spring of 1964,so not so common as some may think,hold on to it as maybe worth something one day,you did well Chris for $30...............

Default Good Nam era M1 complete

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    ....its a Marmac industries combat m1 helmet liner,i tried selling mine here in the UK and had no interest at all,and yet this is from the very first batch contract issued in the spring of 1964,so not so common as some may think,hold on to it as maybe worth something one day,you did well Chris for $30...............
    Very helpful and knowledgeable, as always Jake!

I decided to separate the liner from the pot. As much as I try to like the 1970's refurb texture, it's just not pleasant on the eye I will keep the 77 dated ERDL cover on it and add a 1970's liner when I encounter one. A good one to keep for reference.

I put the liner into a spare Ingersoll shell, heat stamp I-1841 (I think 1965, not a lot of info on post war M1 batch numbers?). Mitchell cover- Contract No. 7332 (Late 1964-Early 1965). The elastic band mark has faded too much to read - I think it's an early one based purely on no evidence of 'cats eyes'

In any case a better Nam era M1 display than my previous example. Good complete US Nam era M1's are not easy to find in Australia either, and fetch a decent price even now; but the way I see it is, 50 years from now, I'll be in my 80's - these things will be antiques, I can foresee my children and grandchildren enjoying their inheritance of Granddad's junk

I won't make a new post as there are many examples posted. I will however, post it here

Best regards,
    Chris

?

Hi Chris, what an amazing pick up !

Congrats on owning this one, very interesting history behind it's issue/usage too,many thanks for sharing this fascinating piece

Quote by Opex View Post
    Hi Chris, what an amazing pick up !

Congrats on owning this one, very interesting history behind it's issue/usage too,many thanks for sharing this fascinating piece
    Thanks Gary, appreciate the kind words mate.

Yes it's amazing where this one ended up. I wonder how many early WWII pots ended their long service as Aussie cadet helmets

Best regards,
    Chris

Nice Helmet Chris gotta luv Ingersol my favourite postwar shell,and i bet the chinstraps are Anchor stamped,an all round nice mid 60's lid,displays well and keep looking for a 70's liner for that front seam going spare..............