Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Battle damaged M1

Article about: This is my m1 helmet found in the Bien Hoa area south of Highway 1 in Vietnam. It has some shrapnel damage to the side, warping it. Information I got with the helmet states that it's possibl

Default Battle damaged M1

This is my m1 helmet found in the Bien Hoa area south of Highway 1 in Vietnam. It has some shrapnel damage to the side, warping it. Information I got with the helmet states that it's possible the American III corps lost this helmet during the battle of Trang Bom(Bien Hoa) which took place during the Tet Offensive. Possible 9th Infantry Division. It was found in semi buried condition in 1986, despite this it still retains a fair amount of smooth paint
    Battle damaged M1Battle damaged M1Battle damaged M1Battle damaged M1

Be wary of stories attached to items of militaria... they should be taken with a pinch of salt. Unless there is concrete proof of where the helmet came from, it is just hearsay.

Cheers,
    Steve

Considering the climate and humidity I am amazed at the fairly undecayed condition of this helmet.

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Considering the climate and humidity I am amazed at the fairly undecayed condition of this helmet.
    I was thinking the same thing. If that had been laying semi buried in the environment of Vietnam since 1968.(18 years) I don't think there would be any paint left. It would be a rust bucket.

Semper Fi
    Phil

yes I've thought the same thing. I have paperwork that has the location it was found and the dealer it was sold to, but that obviously doesn't prove anything. Another thought I had was that it had been found much earlier, but not sold until 1986, thus that date. Probably just wishful thinking though