Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall

Article about: Hi guys, It's been a long time since I've picked up any nice helmets. I figure I have to add at least one nice helmet per year, right? I rarely buy from Ebay (unless it's a patch), but this

Default Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I've picked up any nice helmets. I figure I have to add at least one nice helmet per year, right? I rarely buy from Ebay (unless it's a patch), but this one caught my eye and I made off with it for a decent price.

It's just a plain, solid, complete fixed bale M1. None of the photos reveal the liner or shell markings, so I suppose it will have just have to wait until it arrives. Mr. Cornwall named it twice- once on the outside, and once on the sweatband. It looks like the naming style typically used by Navy personnel. I will have to contact Wagriff and see if he can find anything on the name! It apparently came fresh out of an estate.

Happy hunting!
    Mo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall   Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall  

Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall   Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall  

Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall   Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall  

I like it! Hopefully you can find some more about the guy. That always adds an interesting aspect to any equipment.

Wagriff was able to find out some info for me! The guy who owned this helmet was a Navy corpsman at Omaha Beach!

"Marvin H. Cornwall serial number 853-95-55 rank of PhM3C USNV V6 was on the LST 56 from March 6,1944-Oct 13,1944 when he was transferred to COUSNAAB Dartmouth,England FFA. as a PhM2C FFA

"COUSNAAB" technically means "Cammander of U.S. Naval Advanced Base"-or, basically, a foreign located US Navy base. FFA stands for "For Further Assignment".

A PhM2C was a Pharmacist Mate 2nd Class, which meant he fought as a Navy medical Corpsman.

Marvin H. Cornwall was born 17 Dec 1924. He married Shirley D. Wassey in Ramsey, Minnesota on Nov 2,1975. She died in Roseville, Minnesota on March 19,2011. As far as the reecords tell, he May still be alive in Minnesota, but since his helmet was sold, he may have just died recently-if so, the records may not yet have the notice of it.

USNV V6 (which meant that he was a Volunteer and had enlisted for the duration of the war) from Lido Beach,Long Island, New York and transfered to the LST 56 on March 6,1944

The LST56 was a Tank Landing Ship, but in the case of LST-56, it was principally a Hospital ship, taking in the men and equipment, bringing back the prisoners and the wounded. It took part in the Omaha Beach landing battles- evacuating the wounded, etc. Men who served on it described the LST-56 as "Spending the entire War in the English Channel".

The listing for it in the Navsource is brief and doesn't tell much, but does give the description and such. If you do a online searcg for "LST 56", there is much more material available-including some photos and crew pictures(none,unfortunately Named, though)

Tank Landing Ship LST "

Wow. Congrats on the great find. The history is what I love the most (as i assume most here can agree with).
    I see you're in Ogden. I just picked up a near unissued 1943 Remington 03-A3 pinned stock that came out of the Ogden arsenal. But thats an aside.
    Is this your new favorite?
    Matt

Quote by milcollector84 View Post
    Wow. Congrats on the great find. The history is what I love the most (as i assume most here can agree with).
    I see you're in Ogden. I just picked up a near unissued 1943 Remington 03-A3 pinned stock that came out of the Ogden arsenal. But thats an aside.
    Matt
    Definitely! I have another M1 which is named to a WWII veteran, but I wasn't able to find any solid info on him, and it's in poor condition. This one has everything going for it! When it arrives I will take better photos.

Quote by milcollector84 View Post
    Matt
    P.S. I would love to see the rifle!

She arrived today! Here are some better photos. This is probably one of the most attractive helmets I own. The liner turned out to be an MSA with a mold stamp of '30'. The heat stamp is '754C'. Can somebody tell me when it was manufactured?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall   Beautiful Fixed Bale M1, named to M. H. Cornwall  

October 43 right on the switch,what I mean is this is the highest heat stamp I've ever seen thats fixed bale,great looking complete helmet,glad your pleased with it...............Jake.

?

Nice lid Mo I have yet to add a good war time dated fixed bale to my collection of helmets I am glad you were able to track down some information on the sailor and his history my compliments to Wagriff.
    Any thoughts on trying to search him out to see if he is still alive it would be wonderful to talk to the gentleman and learn a little more history as seen through his eyes.

Regards Mark K

?

Saw that one on that auction site, it was a good buy, congratulations.
    Regards,
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast