Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Big Red One?

Article about: Hi all, This is a front seam helmet with swivel bales. The insigina on the front is of the 1st Infantry Division. The liner looks as though it was buired? Not quite sure what to make of it?

Default Big Red One?

Hi all,

This is a front seam helmet with swivel bales. The insigina on the front is of the 1st Infantry Division. The liner looks as though it was buired? Not quite sure what to make of it? The helmet is from Italy.

Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Big Red One?   Big Red One?  

Big Red One?   Big Red One?  

I have to be really careful with my choice of words,it seems very strange how nearly all marked helmets on ebay only ever seem to be for sale from italy?and all seem to be from only 2 or 3 sellers and they all say from private collection,if there all original they would be sold at auction with authentication,lead paint testing etc,so being off loaded on ebay screams no don't go near it,just my 2 cents.

?

Red paint doesn't appear to show any cracking due to age, not to mention I find it strange the liner looks like it was in a barn or basement. But the shell has no oxidation or wear to the outside that I'd expect to see if the set came together

?

The insignia itself is also (technically) incorrect; the 1st Infantry Division generally outlining the ‘red one’ with a shield in black.

Further to Rudder and Gel’s remarks on the paintwork, notice the very careful occlusions in the red paint, which appear to be chips, though there are no chips to the green paint beneath.
    As for the liner; peculiar. It appears to have been partially filled with earth and left outside for a few weeks! Very odd.

No way do the lid and liner belong together, and as said the big red one is one big red flag.

?

I don't think the style is the red flag, I've seen other sets that lack the shield behind them. The shield itself is green, just like the 90th ID they did not always paint the shield. But the wear is not consistent for me to be comfortable with this set