Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can someone identify this chinstrap on my ww2 m1 helmet ??

Article about: Mine is front seam swivil bale

Default Can someone identify this chinstrap on my ww2 m1 helmet ??

On my ww2 m1 helmet I noticed that the buckle on the chinstrap is different than on my other m1 ww2 helmets. The chin straps are sewn on to the bales though and are the correct color for ww2. The helmet dates to be 1943.

Here's a pic, please give me your thoughts

Default Re: Can someone identify this chinstrap on my ww2 m1 helmet ??

Its a post war chinstrap a lot of WWII helmets were re-issued up through Vietnam, do you 'own' this one.

Quote by AmericanKraut View Post
    Its a post war chinstrap a lot of WWII helmets were re-issued up through Vietnam, do you 'own' this one.
    Yes I do, heres another pic

It has post war paint too, so obviously a re-issue or the whole helmet might even be post war

It is a front seam sculeter, so it is def ww2 right or am I wrong ? Also that was a bad pic the paint might have been repainted, but it is the correct color for a ww2 pot right, it has cork and it is not a light green like post war, it is a darker green

Attachment 393542

It's hard to judge your helmet on that picture, Dom. The direct sun glare just makes it look like a white blob.

When photographing your items, natural light is best. While I admit that sometimes it can be really hard to take the time to snap quality photos, but it really goes a long way and can help the guys here do a better job in helping you!

I normally take my helmets outside on nice days for photos.

For example:
    Can someone identify this chinstrap on my ww2 m1 helmet ??Can someone identify this chinstrap on my ww2 m1 helmet ??Can someone identify this chinstrap on my ww2 m1 helmet ??Can someone identify this chinstrap on my ww2 m1 helmet ??Can someone identify this chinstrap on my ww2 m1 helmet ??

Thank you, and I will take better photos tomarrow, I am not an expert on helmets, so just making sure it is impossible that my helmet is post war right ?

And your helmet is very nice, McCord ??

Quote by Dominick Consolazio View Post
    It is a front seam sculeter, so it is def ww2 right or am I wrong ? Also that was a bad pic the paint might have been repainted, but it is the correct color for a ww2 pot right, it has cork and it is not a light green like post war, it is a darker green

Attachment 393542
    All front seam helmets are considered WWII vintage.

Taking a second look at the picture you provided, I see that there is paint loss on the rim. That is a tell tale sign of a WWII US front seam helmet. They made the rims out of a metal that the paint didn't stick to very well. I believe these rims are also not magnetic so they wouldn't mess with compasses.

& is sculeter worth more than a McCord, what is the difference in character between the two ? To me they look exactly the same lol

Quote by Dominick Consolazio View Post
    & is sculeter worth more than a McCord, what is the difference in character between the two ? To me they look exactly the same lol
    I can't really tell you for sure about that... I'd say in general, front seam fixed bale helmet shells are worth more than front seam swivel bailed helmets. Rear seam swivel bails are worth the least of all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast