Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chinstrap

Article about: As Andy has already stated there's no question of the T1 being available from july 44.in recent years many lids have been sold on ebay with this configuration,some even had the new "J&q

Default Chinstrap

Hey everyone,

As everybody knows the khaki chinstrap shown here was used in World War Two, But I was wondering if the olive drab green strap was used also during late war periods?

Khaki:
    http://www.jmurrayinc1944.com/images...straps%202.jpg

Olive Drab:
    http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...-wXvnSTj2Q.jpg

Thanks,
    Michael

?

Default Re: Chinstrap

The 0D7, or olive drab chinstraps were certainly used in the later part of WW2, there is no doubt, but the ones you link to have the T1 metal clips, and the "ball and claw" fixings.
    The OD7 straps that were definately used in WW2 had the older type fastenings (pic below, one of mine), and were sewn to the chinstrap bales, and were used in the late war time period. There is debate as to if the T1 type ever made it to the front line in WW2. I have seen photographs of troops embarking on troopships dated 1945, and they were definitely had the T1 setup.

As a point of interest, I have the book "M1 Helmet Of The World War Two GI" which states that for a very short time during the early production of the M1, OD7 chinstraps were produced by both manufacturers for a short time.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chinstrap   Chinstrap  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

In case the links go dead, here are your pics.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Chinstrap   Chinstrap  

Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Ok So the ball would not have been used even in 1944-45?

Thanks,
    Michael

?

OD green chin straps were used late war even with the quick release ball but the version shown here is the 1960's onwards version.

?

That is THE question.
    There is a bit of debate about this. The last time I went into this in any great depth the jury was still out. I'm sure if there is definite photographic evidence that has come to light recently, other more knowledgeable members will be along to settle this.
    As far as I know the T1's began to be produced mid 1944, there is no doubt about that, the question is, did they make it to the front line by the end of WW2?
    As for me, when it comes to displaying my helmets, I err on the side of caution and do not display the ball and claw or the t1 setup as WW2 helmets.

Best Regards,

Andy

And Happy New Year!

See, a more knowledgeable member beat me to it!
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]

Thanks for the info guys, I have talked to a few people about this and have been told that the ball was used during korea.... BUT i have also heard that they were not. So I guess they weren't, I had posted the helmet that originally brought my attention to this matter in another topic but I cannot find the post, When I had bought the helmet I was told it was WW2 but then agian I really never trust anybody, so I decided to really examine it and found that the cork looked to be correct for WW2 and the liner was also correct the only problem I had was the chinstrap, so I thought it was korea... then I only saw the strap on vietnam helmets, so my conclusion is that the helmet strap was later replaced with a vietnam dated strap.

Thanks for all the help

Michael

Hey,

Found my origional thread if you can tell from the photo?

WW2 helmet?

Thanks,
    Michael

?

& as been said in that thread that's a post war reissued M-1 you have there.

Thanks for every bodies cooperation with me I was unintentionally being difficult, I am sorry and thanks for all the help,

Thanks again,
    Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast