Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Cork vs sand finishes date question

Article about: Were any WWII period helmets originally made with the sand added finish? I have a Westinghouse M1C helmet, rear seam, but stainless rim, which would date the helmet to approx. late 44 to ear

?

Default Cork vs sand finishes date question

Were any WWII period helmets originally made with the sand added finish? I have a M1C helmet, rear seam, but stainless rim, which would date the helmet to approx. late 44 to early 45 and it still has the cork finish. Just curious were there any original sand finishes made before the WWII contractors ceased production of the M1? And if not, can one assume then that all sand finishes are refurbished or later made helmets? Ray
    Last edited by RayG; 11-19-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Everything I have seen or heard is that started with the post Korean era helmets. I may be wrong though.

Hi Ray,to the best of my knowledge all ww2 shells were corked as Nathan has already stated,silca/sand replaced cork in 1951 when the first post war production run started at McCords,nice to own a rear seam with stainless rim..............

Ahh I was a little off then. I have a helmet I need to post here for your opinion Jake... Maybe I can get around to it tomorrow.

?

Here's the helmet. It has the flex bales and the extra web portion with a female snap that snap onto the liner. It's rear seam as stated but with an early stainless steel rim and not the later magnesium rim, which dates the helmet to about approx. mid to late 1944 into early 1945 mfg. and has the WWII cork paint and has an original helmet net on it. The liner is an original Westinghouse paratrooper liner with OD 7, "Y" straps, having 2nd pattern cast buckles and an original and correct airborne five (5) hole leather chin cup attached. The helmet is complete with an original reflector disk attached to the net in the rear and an original later war Airborne first aid pouch sans serfs. Same as some dug up at the later war Market Garden operation, (the French Book, D day Paratroopers, page 100), on the front of the helmet. This is a nice original and complete late WWII paratrooper helmet that is in Excl. condt.

Cork vs sand finishes date questionCork vs sand finishes date questionCork vs sand finishes date question
    Last edited by RayG; 11-20-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Awesome Ray,luv the reflector disc,never seen one before,amazing m1c,worth a crap load of cash,hold on to it,dont hardly see many in this condition and complete,thanks for sharing Bud..............

I remember seeing an old photo of a WWII soldier in a book and it showed a close up of his helmet and they mentioned it had a rough sand finish, it looked rougher than cork, I would say some helmets were probably refinished with a rough sand finish at repair depots during WWII, but the sand finish was most likely done at a depot not by the factory at that time.

?

Here's an excl. chart showing the dates of the changes on the M1 helmets. The only thing I see it's missing is the Now 44 date for the e rim change from stainless to the mag. rim

Dating the M1 Steel Helmet