Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

A Couple of Not-So-Common Mitchell Pattern Covers

Article about: Hi All, Been a while since I posted on this forum! Mainly due to the fact my work blocks this site, however it seems it is suddenly unblocked! With that said, I thought I would post some of

?

Default A Couple of Not-So-Common Mitchell Pattern Covers

Hi All,
    Been a while since I posted on this forum! Mainly due to the fact my work blocks this site, however it seems it is suddenly unblocked!

With that said, I thought I would post some of my finds since my last visit.

First up are a few recent VN lids. I'm really liking camo covers as of late, and these two were acquired at local antique flea markets.

The first one has a 1967 dated Mitchell cover, manufactured by Capitol Fur, Inc. Material is twill. It is my understanding these had a low production run due to the material not holding up well in tropical weather.

The helmet, liner and chinstraps are all VN manufacture as well. Liner suspension appears to be dated 1964 and the swetband has a 67 contract date.

?

Default Re: A Couple of Not-So-Common Mitchell Pattern Covers

The next one I almost walked away from. I saw it sitting on a shelf, took a look at the liner. Liner was KW era, however had a WWII headband. It had one sewn WWII chinstrap (Khaki) and the other was 50’s-VN. (possible period repair?). All-in-all, pretty crude (for my snobby tastes), so I put it back on the shelf.

Well, something pulled me back to it and I decided to check the date of the camo cover. As I peeled back the flap, I saw a nice, white USMC 1959 dated tag. For those unfamiliar, this was the year they first ran the Mitchell pattern helmet covers, exclusively for the Marines.

Needless to say, the price was more than fair, so I snatched it up.

very nice covers and helmets to match. to have a 1959 usmc cover is a real good score thanks for shareing.

?

Quote by geelong View Post
    very nice covers and helmets to match. to have a 1959 usmc cover is a real good score thanks for shareing.
    Thanks, Geelong! Having a 59' is a must for any mitchell cover collectors...Not that value matters, however they are also quickly rising in price. So if you see one, be sure to grab it!

While not a Mitchell pattern, I thought I would also share this 1969 dated ERDL cover I picked up. The helmet I already had. These are on the scarcer side as well as there was an initial run of ERDL's in 1969 and they weren't run again until 1975.

Thanks to member's of USMF, photos were shared, circa 1975, of Marine's wearing ERDL pattern helmet covers. There's speculation these are the 69' run as the 75' run likely woulnd't have made it into the field by then.

the erdl camo a nice one to. and date to match.
    ive goot two of these woodland camo covers one is dated dla 77 but with no black just green brown and light brown, and the reverse side is light green. but the other cover has the black but the reverse side ist the same and the only marking is a purple X. thanks

?

Thanks again, geelong!

I still have to pickup a woodland. They're pretty inexpensive so I'm not sure why I haven't added one to the collection yet.

Next step is to start adding some duck pattern USMC covers. Had an opportunity to snag one (1953 2nd pattern) at a flea market last weekend, but someone had spoken for it not 5 minutes before I showed up.

yea ill be picking up a usmc m1 with cover but it has the ega patches on both sides so must be post war but has no slits in cover soon. but the one ill hope to get one day is the ww2 usmc cover. but i like all the como covers. and it nice to see you have some that have good dates to match. hope im not imposing on your thred but here some of my m1s with covers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Couple of Not-So-Common Mitchell Pattern Covers  

?

Very nice collection!

USMC covers are a mine field....lot's a reproductions out there.

Here's a link someone posted at USMF. It's a PDF to help date and confirm authenticity of USMC covers.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...ZjRlMTQ5NjRmOA

thanks yuengling325.