Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dating M1 helmet

Article about: Hello. This is my M1 shell, with rear seam and swivel bales. I think it’s a post Vietnam era helmet (colour is light green) but dome is taller than Vietnam model. I don’t understand this… Ca

M1Cook
    ?

Default Dating M1 helmet

Hello. This is my M1 shell, with rear seam and swivel bales. I think it’s a post Vietnam era helmet (colour is light green) but dome is taller than Vietnam model. I don’t understand this… Can you help me to date the shell, please?

Thank you

Dating M1 helmet

?

Default Re: Dating M1 helmet

Shells are often refurbished every now and again, as this one probably has been.

Martin

?

The first place to look to date these would be to look under the peak in the front for numbers/letters stamped in the steel.

Andy

?

The shell very well could be WW2 vintage, just refurbished later on with sand texture and the light green paint. It would be hard to call it WW2 vintage though.

?

Regardless of front or rear seam it needs to be stainless steel to be of WW2 manufacture,by stainless steel I'm referring to the seam only,not the manganese steel shell...

?

Dating the M1 Steel Helmet

Simplistic, but it is what it is and sufficient for your purposes.
    Last edited by relicz; 02-02-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    Regards,
    John

?

Actually the manganese rim was used during WW2. Its introduction roughly coincided with moving the seam from front to rear, so you can sometimes find rear seam stainless. Most rear seams WW2 shells, however, are manganese.

It is possible it could be WW2. There were rear seam helmets made in late 1944- early 1945. This helmet could've been repainted to be used during Korean War. The markings inside are just how they kept up with steel. Numbers with no letters= WW2. Numbers + letters= WW2 and Korea.

i have two helmets one has a heat stamp of 1053 and the other is S1A with an S below it-can someone date it for me

?

Both are WW2 version Patches3. The S1a is a Schlueter which made less helmets than McCord.