Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.

Article about: did they only switch it to a lighter color? i got a korean war helmet a couple years ago with the post war blue anchor usmc cover but the paint job is darker and a sandy texture

Default Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.

Hello Everyone, a relative recently gave me a U.S. M1 helmet (shell and liner). Based on the headband information and liner webbing setup, I had guessed that the liner was Vietnam-era. I noticed, however, that there were 4 rivets (2 on each side) with bits of cloth attached that had been cut (see pictures), indicating that there had been some alterations to the lining, i.e. something had been removed. Also, 2 additional rivets (again one on each side) lie between the afore-mentioned rivets. These seem to have nothing to do with the current liner setup, again indicating that perhaps there had been another liner configuration at some point. I have included pictures of the liner, headband, crown marking (I apologize for the bad picture, although I am guessing its a Westinghouse Electric), and have circled the mystery rivets in red and green. As for the the quote written on the outside of the liner, I am aware that there is pretty much no way to tell whether that is original or added on later, it was like that when I received it. Any information you guys can provide as to the liner date, manufacturer, what may/may not have happened to alter the liner, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Per the shell, I have not been able to date that either, I know (based on swivel-bale and rear-seam) that it is likely not a WWII shell. The imprinted lot number is only a partial strike as far as I can tell, so I have been unable to fully rely on that. The chinstraps, however, have the 'P' stamped onto the metal fasteners, as I have seen in other Vietam-era shells (in place of the anchor), leading me to believe that this is, in fact, a Vietnam helmet shell as well, potentially airborne as some sites seem to indicate. Am I correct in assuming that it is Vietnam-era? Again, any info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-Evan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.   Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.  

Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.   Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.  

Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.   Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.  

the two outer pieces are parts of an A-strap and the middle is the snap that the pot chinstraps clipped into. the liner is a paratrooper liner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.   Dating M1 shell and liner - bizarre liner alterations.  

Thanks Patches for explaining the additional rivets and snaps! Can anyone else provide any information as to the date/manufacturer of either the liner or the shell?

Many thanks,
    -Evan

i cant say anything about the liner except that it is vietnam but i can help with the pot. it is also definetely vietnam because of the swivel bales, rear seam, and the color of the paint

The 77 on the sweatband means it was made in 1977 as far as I am aware.
    regards
    Rod

Quote by Patches View Post
    i cant say anything about the liner except that it is vietnam but i can help with the pot. it is also definetely vietnam because of the swivel bales, rear seam, and the color of the paint
    Thanks again for your help Patches. I completely agree that due to the bales, rear-seam, and chinstrap fasteners the pot is definitely post-war, but I am curious what exactly about the paint color is indicative of Vietnam-era as opposed to Korea? (just so I know in the future)

Regards,
    -Evan

Quote by plumbob View Post
    The 77 on the sweatband means it was made in 1977 as far as I am aware.
    regards
    Rod
    Indeed I believe you are correct, which means it was a post-vietnam addition to the original helmet (which at the moment I believe is a Vietnam-era airborne helmet). If only the other elements of the helmet were so clearly labeled…

Regards,
    -Evan

Quote by E Bryers View Post
    Indeed I believe you are correct, which means it was a post-vietnam addition to the original helmet (which at the moment I believe is a Vietnam-era airborne helmet). If only the other elements of the helmet were so clearly labeled…

Regards,
    -Evan
    I believe you are correct I am no M-1 collector just know them from experience of handling and seeing them yours (liner) is indeed a partrooper missing the Y yoke that secures helmet to the head when jumping so they don't separate sometimes they did so you will even find tape marks on them where they were taped also. I know a lot of guys that did this to be safe as prop blast can separate the helmet in the air. Chinstrap on your pot is the later VN era type used I think up until the M-1 was discontinued. Sorry I forget the proper name for that one hopefully some of the M-1 collectors will come along and tell us. Nice helmet worth redoing with airborne Y yoke. Patches that is a super M-1C I believe they came along later in WW2 about the time of the Rhine Jump or so. Its a nice one anyway. I once knew a guy that was in the 17th airborne (Fought in Pacific ww2) and he had brought home a M-1C (Flexible Bale) opposed to D bail earlier one. timothy

the vietnam color that was used is much lighter then the ww2 color. here are two of mine, the lighter one being vietnam.

Yeah I think your spot on with that patches I have a fixed bale that has faded to a lighter green through the years. But the OD switch was done after the war 2 to a lighter color. timothy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast