MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

did they ever use this type of helmet camo in Vietnam?

Article about: by battle gear I agree, I have only seen photos from the late 1970's with this type of foliage cover, mostly used by the French on the F1 para helmet they also use this alot in the middle ea

Question did they ever use this type of helmet camo in Vietnam?

when was this type of leaf camo invented? did they ever use this type of helmet camo during the VN war era or earlier?

what time period was this style of camo used on helmets? looks similiar to the type of foliage camo used to camoflage vehicles or anti aircraft gun positions, etc.

Dien Bien Phu era? 1954

Vietnam War era? 1965 - 1975

later?
    Attached Images Attached Images did they ever use this type of helmet camo in Vietnam? 
    Last edited by battle gear; 03-09-2010 at 07:13 PM.

Default Re: did they ever use this type of helmet camo in Vietnam?

This looks like a French Modele 1951 helmet. With this camo never used in Dien Bien Phu and not VN war either. The French were not involved anymore and the ARVN was US equiped. Neither was it used in the Algerian war

The camo is late seventies vintage, I guess. The French called it "salade". It was not used on the M51 till the late seventies. In the eighties it was frequently seen on the "casque F1".

Cheers,
    Emile

ian
    ?

that looks to me like a cammo square from a 1970s british cammo net

?

Quote by ian View Post
    that looks to me like a cammo square from a 1970s british cammo net
    My thoughts also Ian.

I remember having one of these cam' net squares on my own tin lid through-out my service, both on my "turtle back" and kevlar lid.

?

Yes definately british camo netting , We used to cover our signals landrovers with it, and our 58 webbing.

Chriso14
    ?

Absolutely not mate, any helmet cammo was of an EARTL pattern material if any at all, there were to my knowledge {offical}5 different patterns of this I wore the 2nd version in 1979 and wore the last type in 1987 when we went to AUSCAM {being SAS Regt we never wore a 'bone dome ' though, hell I hated them. Tha cam scrim looks Brit to me guys...by the way I have to send a message to the Site introducing myself I joined tonight,
    cheers from Australia
    Chriso14

Have look at this site. Almost at the bottom of the page you see this helmet's brother.
    .: Casque Franais modle 51 TTA :.

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    Have look at this site. Almost at the bottom of the page you see this helmet's brother.
    .: Casque Franais modle 51 TTA :.

Cheers,
    Emile
    Thanks for all the information and replies everyone

looks like it says the camo cover was adopted in 1962? but I dont know how to read French.

I do not think this cover was adopted in 1962. It says the anti IR paint was adopted in this year. I think IR stands for InfraRed.

I never have seen photo's of this cover before the seventies. It is used in Yugoslavia as well and maybe in Britain, but not as a regular issue helmet net, I believe.

Cheers,
    Emile

Quote by emileverbunt View Post
    I do not think this cover was adopted in 1962. It says the anti IR paint was adopted in this year. I think IR stands for InfraRed.

I never have seen photo's of this cover before the seventies. It is used in Yugoslavia as well and maybe in Britain, but not as a regular issue helmet net, I believe.

Cheers,
    Emile
    I agree, I have only seen photos from the late 1970's with this type of foliage cover, mostly used by the French on the F1 para helmet

they also use this alot in the middle east with the brown side out for desert camo, I have an Iraqi helmet with similiar camo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast