Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.

Article about: by Nitram The chinstrap is a Dutch one, used on Dutch M53s. Shell could possibly be one that was given to the Netherlands post war, and the Dutch straps were added. Nitram So, that would exp

Default Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.

hi good forum had to show this fixed bale on ebay,being sold as original now i know im no mark renosa but PLEASE where did glossy paint come from?my research over the last few years on the M1 steelpot has been intense but im pretty sure matt paints were always used by the steelpot MFG,from ww2 right through to the 70's,the liners worth more than the lid.1st rayon pattern high pressure.any opinions please cheers dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.  Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.  Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.  Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet. 

?

Default Re: Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.

i think its a fake two things worries me the bar tacking of the chin strap & what seems to be red paint smudged on the chin strap
    Attached Images Attached Images Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.  Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.  Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.  Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet. 

hi nick i thought those straps looked a bit repro?but its the paint that shocks me the most wouldn't you agree?unless there bidding for the liner you dont get many of these come up.cheers dave.forgot to say look at the rim there's no paint missing thats the biggest give away as we all know drab never stuck well to stainless steel.
    Last edited by moaning minnie; 04-04-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: add more info

?

The paint seems odd for WW2 or Korea. Chinstraps look fake. Good liner though.

Regards,

Andy

?

Ive seen glossy paint used to repaint M-1s post war i have one my self one of my NAM era lids so the green glossy paint is no surprise just probably not a WW2 repaint but post war Ive also got a low pressure liner that's also had a slight glossy repaint.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.   Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.  

Attached Images Attached Images Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.  Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet. 

so nick do you reckon these were field repaints useing like military vehicle paint as none of the shell makers used gloss only drab?dave

NCA
    ?

Smile Re: Ebay m1 fixed bale helmet.

I cant comment on the bar tacking..pictures are to blurry...The colour looks ok too, picture taken in the sun.Most of these things have had at least one repaint in their service life.I have a KW repaint in dark gloss OG...but, that is ONE nice liner!!
    I bet it goes silly.

He had it listed as a D bale originally for a few hours but someone must have contacted him and told him the error of his ways.
    He removed it and relisted it as a fixed bail, so does he honestly think he has it listed correctly now? i don’t know!
    Im in the same boat as you guys not sure what to make of it. But its on my watch list just to see what happens.
    It was the liner that attracted me. I could see it was a repaint from when who knows.
    Rod

?

The chinstrap is a Dutch one, used on Dutch M53s. Shell could possibly be one that was given to the Netherlands post war, and the Dutch straps were added.

Nitram

NCA
    ?

Quote by Nitram View Post
    The chinstrap is a Dutch one, used on Dutch M53s. Shell could possibly be one that was given to the Netherlands post war, and the Dutch straps were added.

Nitram
    How can you tell?What is the difference between the Dutch ones and the US ones?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast