Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

eBay M1. Unusual Claims

Article about: This item has surfaced on ebay US, a very distinctive helmet indeed, so much so that it surely has been seen before. And the eBay link : 507th PIR Camouflage Painted 1943 Experimental Bale P

?

Default eBay M1. Unusual Claims

This item has surfaced on ebay US, a very distinctive helmet indeed, so much so that it surely has been seen before.

eBay M1. Unusual Claims

And the eBay link : 507th PIR Camouflage Painted 1943 Experimental Bale Paratrooper Helmet Shell | eBay

The sellers description is below, and makes some unusual claims. Has anyone seen this before? Pure fantasy? A grain of truth? 100% correct?

Absolutely 100% Original 507th PIR, 82nd Airborne Division Camouflage Painted Helmet recovered from the 507th sector in Normandy, France. The helmet was purchased by myself from the Carentan Historical Center in Ste Mere Eglise, Normandy, France in June 2011. I will include the original Bill of Sale as well as concurrent emails from the owner explaining the origins of the helmet. The helmet's exterior is adorned with a green camouflage paint scheme that is still about 50-60%. On either side, two crude applications of Gas Vesicant Paint that are still visible. The helmet is fitted with experimental bales that were mandated by the Airborne Command in 1943. M2 and M1 Helmets were modified by adding portions of the U.S. Mess Kit and attached to the helmet by brass rivets. The experimental modification was quickly suspended as the integrity of the shell was compromised when riveted. Helmets with this modification have been found from Normandy to Bastogne which show that they were actually used in combat. This information and examples of this helmet can be found in the book, "American Paratrooper Helmets" by Michel De Trez. The helmet still has it's original chinstraps and stamped steel buckle. Though frayed, the stitching on the chinstrap is consistent with the pictures shown in the book "American Paratrooper Helmet." The front of the helmet has been damaged from shrapnel or an extreme concussion from shell blast. Stress Cracks can clearly been seen which leave the fate of it's owner unclear. This poignant relic clearly exemplifies the ferocity of fighting that occurred on the morning of June 6, 1944. This is an awesome opportunity to own a fantastic example of an Airborne Helmet that was used during the D-Day Invasion. It is 100% Correct and all documentation will be provided to the winner bidder showing its origins. An absolute awesome 507th PIR Helmet, that is extremely hard to obtain. I will give a 3 Day Inspection to the winning bidder and will ship UPS Ground upon payment receipt. Shipping will be $15.00, unless Insured is preferred by the buyer. Please no foreign bidders.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Default Re: eBay M1. Unusual Claims

not sure about the sellers story but the chin strap loops are not experimental these were done as field repairs when the original loops broke.

Hi Andy

Here is a link to another discussion on one of these.
    I think more likely a repair.
    Modified M2 - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum
    best regards
    Rod

?

Yep, I've seen that with these before, which if this is all above board would be much more of a selling point to people who know rather than all that mandated by Airborn Command malarky?

Carentan Historical Center in Ste Mere Eglise exists, but I can't see where they sell stuff, unless they have a God forbid "tourist shop."

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

I have once mentioned this paratrooper shop.
    I have no idea how reliable it is.

He has a nice buckle and belt for sale
    Ben

A friend of mine tell me that this model exists, but is very very rare, here the strap is not para( I am not collecting US...)

This may be me just being paranoid as usual.
    But why would the inside of this helmet be in a lot worse condition than the outside?
    Would that type of chinstrap buckle been in use around the time of the landings and drops, if that’s when this was meant to have been lost! What I mean is, wouldn’t this be the kind of chin strap buckle we would find on a M1c or swivel bale ? (blackened flat and looks like no rust steel)
    Were M1c helmets around then middle of 1944.
    I notice this ebayer has never sold anything before. But he does seem to be a collector judging from the things he has been buying.
    Rod

IkeSaysGo44
    ?

eBay M1. Unusual ClaimseBay M1. Unusual Claims
    Quote by aj4010 View Post

The Lad is correct! This is a copy of Michel De Trez's Page from the literature the seller referenced in the listing. the 507th had a variety of Bale Improvements...all quite uncommon of course! This is a fantastic lid.

Yep, I've seen that with these before, which if this is all above board would be much more of a selling point to people who know rather than all that mandated by Airborn Command malarky?

Carentan Historical Center in Ste Mere Eglise exists, but I can't see where they sell stuff, unless they have a God forbid "tourist shop."

Best Regards,

Andy
    - - Updated - -

The Lad is correct! This is a copy of Michel De Trez's Page from the literature the seller referenced in the listing. the 507th had a variety of Bale Improvements...all quite uncommon of course! This is a fantastic lid.