Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Elastic Band(s) for M1 Helmets

Article about: Elastic helmet bands for the M1 helmet have, as I understand been issued since WWII. Has the width of these bands been “consistent” through the different eras (i.e. WWII, Korea, Vietnam as w

?

Default Elastic Band(s) for M1 Helmets

Elastic helmet bands for the M1 helmet have, as I understand been issued since WWII.

Has the width of these bands been “consistent” through the different eras (i.e. WWII, Korea, Vietnam as well as the (present?) bands - featuring light reflecting “Cat Eyes” were first used I believe on the PASGT helmets.

These cat-eyed bands, marked BAND, HELMET CL2 USO - are ½” wide.

Can anyone tell me how wide Vietnam era bands, marked BAND, HELMET, CAMOUGLAGE U. S. are?

The stiching (cross stitching) appears to be the same (in pictures at least).

Being that the markings face inwards when band is installed – if one were to carefully remove the Cat Eyes, would these bands “pass” as Vietnam bands?

Not trying to “falsify” anything here it’s just that for pure display an original marked VN band averages about $20 on auction sites makes spending that much a big ? when I already have one of the new bands on hand.

- thanks

?

WWII were thicker and of different weave with a different stitch. There are also some subtle differences between VN and more modern era elastic bands.
    Regards,
    John

hi ismael ,i would just fit the band to your nam lid ,i cant see a huge differance in width between the two latter and earlier bands i have and they are a similar olive green material ,as its for your display and i take it you will be viewing the helmet from the front id leave the cats eyes in place ,then in the future it will not deceive if sold on with the helmet ,im sure from memory my period nam band has a ink stamping on the inner side ,hope this helps and please post up the results as id like to see ,regards james

I think what James has said is pretty good solid advice,from a display point of view it doesn't matter too much however if your anything like me then it would niggle away at me as I always want genuine period pieces on all of my displays..............

Really there was only a few main differances over the 40 plus years,the thickness as John said,the stitiching how the band was joined,the "CAMOUFLAGE US HELMET BAND" being added then the "Cats Eyes".................