Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Elite Militaria

Article about: Elite Militaria is an Aussie outfit on eBay. This is for sale at the moment, and it's interesting as to what they have to say about it. "Confirmed by an expert Nick Howard of Top Pots,

?

Default Re: Elite Militaria

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    I wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall with that "telephone conversation." I wonder what would happen if we asked them for Nick Howards phone number?

Andy

EDIT:

I just asked them.
    Elite have been in contact to say they will re-confirm the authenticity of this piece, in particular as regards the paint.
    To be fair to them, they seem genuine enough in their concern that there may be a problem, which is a refreshing change
    from eBay sellers of such items.
    I'll pass on any info.

Regards,

Andy

?

I note a new member called 'elite militaria' has joined today and has read this thread. Maybe a good sign that they will re-evaluate their wares and hopefully post things here for authentication in future.

Good to hear the update Andy.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    I note a new member called 'elite militaria' has joined today and has read this thread. Maybe a good sign that they will re-evaluate their wares and hopefully post things here for authentication in future.

Good to hear the update Andy.

We'll be hearing from them soon, and it's going to be interesting indeed.

Andy

?

Pictures of the same helmet, taken in less harsh light, and without a net on behalf of Elite, who have asked me to post these, as they are unable.

Elite MilitariaElite MilitariaElite MilitariaElite MilitariaElite MilitariaElite Militaria

Any thoughts?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 02-20-2013 at 02:54 AM.

?

Elite have updated their listing with the new photographs of this helmet, (bar one) and it all looks very different indeed. Mark, the guy who contacted me, seems a decent enough guy, and was quite alarmed that the item was being discussed as being a possible fake. Fair enough.
    Mark is now a member, and I have to ask, why did you use those terrible photographs? It looks like you were using coloured lights (?) which gave it such a horrible "just painted" shiny camo look.
    Anyway, welcome to the forum Mark, : and it's going to be great to have a dealer on board to offer opinions from a different viewpoint, IMHO.
    As to the new pics, well they look a thousand times better and I really look forward to hearing comments on them.

Best regards,

Andy

?

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Elite Militaria is an Aussie outfit on eBay.
    This is for sale at the moment, and it's interesting as to what they have to say about it.

"Confirmed by an expert Nick Howard of Top Pots, who in his life time has handled over 20,000 M1 Helmets, his conclusion is, that this a 100% original late World War II issue U.S. M1C Airborne Paratrooper Helmet, we talked to him on the phone and didn't really quite understand what he was talking about. You could always contact him if you have any questions regarding this particular helmet."

Attachment 469406

Attachment 469407

Attachment 469408

Attachment 469409

The rest of this thing is here:

SCARCE ORIGINAL LATE WW2 US ARMY M1C PARATROOPER AIRBORNE HELMET | eBay

Any thoughts gentlemen? Anybody had any dealings with him? He seems quite popular. I wonder what they couldn't understand on the phone?

Andy

And if you want to see the rare Brit Para:

SCARCE BRITISH PARA AIRBORNE PARATROOPER HELMET SUEZ CRISIS SAND CAMOUFLAGED | eBay

(I'll post this on the correct forum)

Andy
    Totally original and extremely attractive, scarce example of a BRITISH PARA AIRBORNE HELMET manufactured in 1956 and actually used by the Parachute Regiment in the canal zone during the Suez crisis.

I'd be very interested in the provenance that backs up the claim that this helmet was actually used at Suez ? It would make this a very interesting lid !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Welcome Mark. And well done Andy.
    I for one don’t think this is fake. I just don’t think it is ww2.
    The liner and helmet in my opinion have been repainted, the cork granules just don’t look sharp enough.
    The liner is late ww2 but has been altered to a jump liner by a rigger which most collectors deem as post war done, but I have seen other examples on other forums which were done during ww2.
    A lot of collectors recon that the wire type buckles on the “A” straps were introduced that late in the war that they would not have taken part in it.
    It looks like the cross strap on the “A” strap is a different shade from the rest of the strap which would be unusual (might just be the picture)
    If someone were to make a fake it would be front seem, OD 3 coloured straps, and the “A” straps would be tucked under the metal “A” washers.
    So to me this is a post war helmet maybe before Korea. Someone else will probably say i am talking a lot of c***. But I have had a stab at it.
    Remember this is just my opinion.
    Best
    Regards

?

[QUOTE=plumbob;807593]Welcome Mark. And well done Andy.
    I for one don’t think this is fake. I just don’t think it is ww2.
    The liner and helmet in my opinion have been repainted, the cork granules just don’t look sharp enough.
    The liner is late ww2 but has been altered to a jump liner by a rigger which most collectors deem as post war done, but I have seen other examples on other forums which were done during ww2.
    A lot of collectors recon that the wire type buckles on the “A” straps were introduced that late in the war that they would not have taken part in it.
    It looks like the cross strap on the “A” strap is a different shade from the rest of the strap which would be unusual (might just be the picture)
    If someone were to make a fake it would be front seem, OD 3 coloured straps, and the “A” straps would be tucked under the metal “A” washers.
    So to me this is a post war helmet maybe before Korea. Someone else will probably say i am talking a lot of c***. But I have had a stab at it.
    Remember this is just my opinion.
    Best
    Regards[/QUOTE

Thanks Rod,
    I think you are more qualified than a lot of people on here including me to give an opinion mate!

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 02-20-2013 at 08:50 PM.

I'll give an opinion if I may that all "rigger style liners are indeed fake,it has and always will be the quickest and most straight forward way of converting an Infantry liner into Airborne,the idea was taken from the p64 liner as these were the first to have there A frames mounted this way.I dont and never will believe that before 1960 this type of mounting was even thought of let alone actually made,the very word "Rigger"has absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with the A frames this again is a term that has created within the collecting world.now if a Vet comes along and states that he saw there Infantry liner being converted in this way well I will hold my hands up but Im that confident that will never happen,so go head and believe what you want...who knows maybe yes most likely no.the jury will be out forever on these liners and believe what you wanna and part with hard earned cash.without pics and written documentation who can say...........Jake.

You could be correct jake.
    My theory is.
    As far as i am aware no factory made jump liners between ww2 and before Vietnam. But they would still have been needed and there was thousands of surplice m1 liners, so someone must have converted them.
    It would be nice to see some old pictures though.
    Rod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast