Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

finally is this the real deal?

Article about: have to tell this story from a couple of years ago that i got told,some clearance men in the US were clearing a large building for new ownership,the place was empty apart from this crate way

Default Re: finally is this the real deal?

have to tell this story from a couple of years ago that i got told,some clearance men in the US were clearing a large building for new ownership,the place was empty apart from this crate way over in some distant corner,when opened it was full of un-issued high pressure M1 liners,over 40,of them still with the waffle paper in between them all complete with sweatband and nape and all original olive paint,wouldn't that be just something andy all the best dave.

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    your most probably right nick,so the morrell of the story is that military sites away from ebay cannot be trusted either,what a sad world we live in when taking full advantage of someone's hard earned money is by far more important than the very history that we are trying to preserve,iv'e lost count of the many items being flogged off as ww2 artifacts which are infact postwar production and usually not even of that countries origin.when did having no conscience first raise its ugly head,i so do not like these type of people,dave
    I can't comment definitively on the authenticity of the M2 geronimo fixed bale as not my area at all, but I do know the chap who is selling it. I have bought several items from him before and all have been genuine relics recovered in the Normandy area and the service and reliability has been excellent. I have met up with him in Normandy (where he is based) to go metal detecting and have found some good stuff and seen items that he has recoverd.

In my experience he is a straight up bloke who knows his stuff, and I would be VERY surprised if he was selling a fake, knowingly or otherwise.

Notice how even though these are near enough in relic state when found, most of the paint is still on the stainless steel rims obviously because they don’t rust from behind. The reason I say this is I,ve noticed a lot of relic fakes have hardly any paint on the rims. Maybe the ones aged with acid.
    Again just my opinion I might be way off.
    Just to reflect on Daves story above . one of the guys i worked with last year went to view an empty house , he looked in the attic and there he found a dispatch riders helmet a brodie and a gas mask just left as rubbish by the previous owner. I know its not quite the same but still a nice little find.
    Moral of the story. keep looking and asking about.
    Rod

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    have to tell this story from a couple of years ago that i got told,some clearance men in the US were clearing a large building for new ownership,the place was empty apart from this crate way over in some distant corner,when opened it was full of un-issued high pressure M1 liners,over 40,of them still with the waffle paper in between them all complete with sweatband and nape and all original olive paint,wouldn't that be just something andy all the best dave.
    To find that, as my very good friends say in East Texas, I would be in "Hog Heaven."

Best Regards,

Andy
    Last edited by aj4010; 05-02-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Andy,
    I’m with Plumbob on this, personally this looks Acid aged to me, to much of the rust is fresh for my liking, basically give me a an old M1 shell selective paint stripping, some acid and then some salt, plus two weeks outside in all weathers and I could reproduce this effect, and at the end of the day “An Effect” is all that is appears to be, personally I would steer very clear and look for a better deal or an M2 replica helmet sold as such, at replica prices.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Also Dealers get caught to on items they buy, a U.S. dealer I know for example, has a 1942 battle jerkin for sale which he thinks is genuine and is selling as such, however it’s a “Quorn Mills” example which were made by a certain London dealer back in the 1990’s. So it could be the guy selling this is a straight up honest type, but there is something about this M2 that is ringing alarm bells with me, something just doesn’t feel right too me, my guts telling me this is not the real deal.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2