Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

First helmet shell - please help identify

Article about: I just acquired this at an estate sale and it is my first one. The info I have been able to gather (with this site's help - thank you!): front seam, which means earlier production, but then

doggeebert
    ?

Question First helmet shell - please help identify

I just acquired this at an estate sale and it is my first one. The info I have been able to gather (with this site's help - thank you!):
    front seam, which means earlier production, but then the swivel bail throws me off because I thought that meant later production. It is marked under the brim S84D - all in a row, not the number under the "S". I think this means it is a Schlueter. Unless it is 884D? I believe the rest is a heat stamp? But what about the "D"?

Sorry to bother you all with these questions. (Coffee just kicked in!) They are probably elementary to you all, but it's my first one and I'm going blind trying to absorb all this info :-/
    I have attached a photo grid. I hope they are good enough.

Thank you!

-Jackie

First helmet shell - please help identify

Hi Jackie nothing wrong here,its an "8" letters were only placed after the number,so heatstamp of 884D around april 44,nice salty lid,well done and welcome.........

Jan
    ?

No need to apologize for questions here as we are all here to learn... for eternity . Below are a few picture of my first M1

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First helmet shell - please help identify   First helmet shell - please help identify  

First helmet shell - please help identify   First helmet shell - please help identify  

and also if there is no S under the numbers then its made by McCord, i added a photo of my first helmet to.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First helmet shell - please help identify  

Not bad.
    Now you just need to pick up a liner for it.
    If I were you, since it was probably repainted, I would get a Vietnam era liner and Mitchell cover for it and turn it into a Vietnam lid. You could even use a WWII liner with it.
    Surplus WWII helmets and liners were used well into Vietnam.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture First helmet shell - please help identify   First helmet shell - please help identify