MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First M1 Helmet

Article about: You might have nailed it there. Well done! Rod Yup, well done that man! Best Regards, Andy

Default First M1 Helmet

I won my first helmet on ebay. I spent some time reading the threads on this forum to make sure I bought a WWII helmet and liner. I did get a WWII helmet right?

I was thinking about buying correct period chin straps for the liner but after seeing an $85 dollar bid on the leather strap...I think I'll go repro.

Helmet has 150C stamped I think.
    First M1 HelmetFirst M1 Helmet

It looks like the liner is pretty much worn out. Not surprisingly the seller neglected to show a clear view of the liner in his listing.
    First M1 HelmetFirst M1 Helmet

Looks like the liner was repainted. I can't tell what's under there but its a red and yellow decal on the first layer of paint.
    First M1 Helmet

?

Default Re: First M1 Helmet

hi & welcome to the forum

the shell you have is indeed a WW2 fixed bail version but the liner is a post war 1950's version.

Looks great ! you should be able to pick up another liner at reasonable cost probably without its chinstrap as well though if your patient . Your correct green hardware chinstraps seem to go for a small fortune.If I was you I would do a bit of research on that decal. It would be interesting to find out what it has been.
    Rod

Regards
    Rod
    Last edited by plumbob; 04-12-2012 at 10:48 PM. Reason: addition

Quote by plumbob View Post
    If I was you I would do a bit of research on that decal. It would be interesting to find out what it has been.
    Rod
    I actually spent the week searching for anything similar but so far no luck. Wished the center of it wasn't worn away.

and thanks for the confirmation.

Looks similar to this one: Red Scorpion/shell casing pin?? Bomber squad???

ID'd to 69th anti aircraft artillery but I can't find another pic of the insignia when I googled it.

[QUOTE=Matt6767;538862]I actually spent the week searching for anything similar but so far no luck. Wished the center of it wasn't worn away.

I see what you mean I spent about three hours last night looking at different decals and patches to see of i could find one similar, but unfortunately come up blank as well. Not easy eh!
    At first I thought it looked like the remains of a snake (cobra) or medusa or something similar, but it could be anything, the thing is I am sure I have seen something like this before somewhere .But god only knows where.
    Best of luck with it, hope you find it sometime.
    Rod

The liner looks like a ww2 liner because it has the device attachment hole on the front.

?

It does indeed. Early 1950's ones do too. Usually marked Micarter, a division of Westinghouse, and sometimes double stamped with different makers marks. The OD7 (dark green) webbing is the give away.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Quote by mk1rceme View Post
    Looks similar to this one: Red Scorpion/shell casing pin?? Bomber squad???

ID'd to 69th anti aircraft artillery but I can't find another pic of the insignia when I googled it.
    You might have nailed it there. Well done!
    Rod

Yes I checked the liner and it is from the 50's.

Mk1's link looks pretty much like it but I couldn't find any pictures of the decal from the 69th after searching in Google either so I'm still looking around to see if there's any more.

Edit: oh I can see the lining of the missing yellow matching perfectly with the badge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast