Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

First M1 helmet!

Article about: I remember seeing this one, a very decent example for a first M1. The over painted liner is best left as is and part of its history (IMO). You could probably remove the sticker glue fairly e

?

Default Re: First M1 helmet!

I remember seeing this one, a very decent example for a first M1. The over painted liner is best left as is and part of its history (IMO). You could probably remove the sticker glue fairly easily if you are careful and patient.

First M1 helmet!

Yep, that"s the one. The pictures I posted were the day I got the helmet. Since then I have removed more of the glue, I'm a little confused as to why anyone would have done that in the first place.

Quote by relicz View Post
    I remember seeing this one, a very decent example for a first M1. The over painted liner is best left as is and part of its history (IMO). You could probably remove the sticker glue fairly easily if you are careful and patient.
    I feel the exact same way. Fate has dealt you this helmet and it's current configuration is now part of history.

Quote by 99CepekZ View Post
    Yep, that"s the one. The pictures I posted were the day I got the helmet. Since then I have removed more of the glue, I'm a little confused as to why anyone would have done that in the first place.
    People often don't know what these things are/ how historically important and valuable they can be. This helmet was probably found in a garage, basement, or attic by the son or grandson of a vet. They were proud to be Texan... and decided to slap a dumb sticker on it.

At Yankee Stadium shortly after 9/11, I saw a fan wearing an M1 helmet that he repainted in Yankee pinstripes.

A very nice, complete, representative M1.

I appreciate all the comments, I'm really happy to finally own a nice piece of ww2 history. My grandpa was a supply sergeant for a medical unit attached to the 4th armored division in ww2 and was involved in liberating the Ebensee concentration camp. Some of the pictures he has can't be described. I'm flying up to Wisconsin this weekend to hear him give a presentation on his experience in ww2 on Veterans day.

I'll try and snap some pics of his German helmet with SS insignia that he brought back with him.

?

Quote by 99CepekZ View Post
    I have a question. As I've mentioned in my previous post I don't think the paint on the liner is original. Do you guys agree? And if it's not original, would there be any issue with me stripping the current paint and doing a better/more original paint job on it?
    i would personally leave as is you could end up doing a lot of damage to it & just plain ruin it !!!!!

My guess is that the liner was a wartime repaint, given the look of the rest of the helmet. I'd leave it alone regardless as the liner is actually made out of fiber and could be easily ruined.

I have no intentions of selling this helmet, but out of curiosity what would you guys value this helmet at? I'm just curious if I got a decent deal.

Here in Luxembourg MINIMUM 300-350 Euro
    Greetings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2