Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fixed Bale M1 with 1953 USMC Cover, Vet Provenance

Article about: Hi guys, This was another recent Ebay M1 find. I didn't plan on buying another helmet for a while, but this one came up at a steal of a price, so I jumped on it. The helmet is a fixed bale M

Default Fixed Bale M1 with 1953 USMC Cover, Vet Provenance

Hi guys,

This was another recent Ebay M1 find. I didn't plan on buying another helmet for a while, but this one came up at a steal of a price, so I jumped on it.

The helmet is a fixed bale McCord with WWII-era chinstraps and paint and a heat stamp of 768B. (Can someone give me a date for the heat stamp, please?) The liner is a Westinghouse with entirely WWII-era guts, but it is missing the leather chinstrap. The USMC cover is dated 1953.

The dog tag and strap thing came with the helmet. It had apparently belonged to the guy's uncle, Frank R. Conrad, who served in the Marine Corps during the Korean War and then had a lengthy career in the Air Force. :)

This one is definitely a permanent addition to the collection. I think I'll make it the centerpiece of a Korean War display.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fixed Bale M1 with 1953 USMC Cover, Vet Provenance   Fixed Bale M1 with 1953 USMC Cover, Vet Provenance  

Fixed Bale M1 with 1953 USMC Cover, Vet Provenance   Fixed Bale M1 with 1953 USMC Cover, Vet Provenance  

Fixed Bale M1 with 1953 USMC Cover, Vet Provenance   Fixed Bale M1 with 1953 USMC Cover, Vet Provenance  

Fixed Bale M1 with 1953 USMC Cover, Vet Provenance  

A really nice helmet and cover. Congrats Mo.
    Great that it came with 'extras'.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Thanks!

?

Nice set, OB! Shell would date to around March 1944. If worn in combat with the cover, it would have likely been during the Lebanon Crisis.

I searched for Frank R Conrad in the muster rolls, but no matches. There are a few Frank Conrad's, but only for service during WWI.

The closest match was a Francis (NMI) Conrad who appears from 1954-1958, but no guarantee this is him.

Did the seller give any other details (DOB, DOD, etc.)?

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Nice set, OB! Shell would date to around March 1944. If worn in combat with the cover, it would have likely been during the Lebanon Crisis.

I searched for Frank R Conrad in the muster rolls, but no matches. There are a few Frank Conrad's, but only for service during WWI.

The closest match was a Francis (NMI) Conrad who appears from 1954-1958, but no guarantee this is him.

Did the seller give any other details (DOB, DOD, etc.)?
    Hi Eric, are you sure about that March 1944 date? It is a fixed bale. lol

I will send the seller a message and try to find out some more info. Thanks for searching though!

?

Here's the closest match in BIRLS. BIRLS sometimes omits previous BOS identifying only the most recent, so possible this is your guy.

Name: Frank Conrad
    Birth Date: 16 Jul 1942
    Death Date: 18 Jun 1996
    SSN: 108346916
    Branch 1: AF
    Enlistment Date 1: 29 May 1961
    Release Date 1: 28 May 1967

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Hi Eric, are you sure about that March 1944 date? It is a fixed bale. lol

I will send the seller a message and try to find out some more info. Thanks for searching though!
    I'm looking at the McCord chart in Helmets of the ETO as we speak, and that's the date. Although this chart isn't infallible as I've seen others post McCord FB's with heat lot's in the 700's.

And no problem! Hopefully the seller can give you more details. If not, it's a great set nonetheless!

?

Looking back at the BIRLS info, likely not your guy considering he would have been 10 during Korea! I was so focused on the BOS, I missed that tiny detail. That's what I get for jumping the gun!

?

Nice set. Heat stamp puts it around the very end of '43 to more likely the very beginning of '44.
    Regards,
    John

Mo how is it you now own the 2 highest heat lot fixed Bales in the world?never thought you could improve on a 754 but you have and a nice lid in all would like a Blue Anchor cover but just to expensive also the above enlistment is wrong with a date of 1961 when the tag shows tetanus of 1956?and yes another october 43 shell..............Jake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast