Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fixed bale M1

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors, just wanted to share one of my favourite helmets with you, this one has no visible heatstamp as I have thoroughly looked in the correct areas,but assume it is 1942 Era.

?

Default Fixed bale M1

Hi Fellow collectors, just wanted to share one of my favourite helmets with you, this one has no visible heatstamp as I have thoroughly looked in the correct areas,but assume it is 1942 Era. The liner is a Firestone but I am not sure that is original to the shell. And the chinstraps I deeply suspect are repro's. Otherwise all present and correct . Feel free to comment,and thanks for looking. Opex.

Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1

HI opex im concerned about not only are the chinstraps reproduction but the Bales look bad too,and saying there's no visible heatstamp troubles me.did you acquire the Helmet off ebay?

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    HI opex im concerned about not only are the chinstraps reproduction but the Bales look bad too,and saying there's no visible heatstamp troubles me.did you acquire the Helmet off ebay?

Hi Jake, basically yes,it was about 4-5 years ago if memory serves me right, I knew the chinstraps were repro , but always assumed the bales were correct the paint around the bale area look original and not touched up, the shell is a front seam too, I bought it off a guy who has a very good reputation in collecting circles !

If you want I can provide better pictures of the bale area inside and out, I was always concerned that there is no visible heatstamp,more so now that the bales might not be original to the shell, what makes you uncomfortable about the bales themselves?!!

Thanks for your valued input Jake, look forward to your response

Thanks opex hate to leave negative comments but after all this is a discussion forum,the Bale feet look a bit mashed up,and there was a known ebay seller who doctored lots of lids to say the least,felt a bit sorry for the winners but they should have maybe done some more ground work like i did and saved themselves a lot of grief,somewhere scattered around are various helmets no doubt sitting in someones display which are completely fake...and yes adding more pics would be great............

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Thanks opex hate to leave negative comments but after all this is a discussion forum,the Bale feet look a bit mashed up,and there was a known ebay seller who doctored lots of lids to say the least,felt a bit sorry for the winners but they should have maybe done some more ground work like i did and saved themselves a lot of grief,somewhere scattered around are various helmets no doubt sitting in someones display which are completely fake...and yes adding more pics would be great............

No worries at all, and I agree the discussion aspect is important, especially with these all too often "messed with" helmets.

I will try and get some more details pictures of the bale area up this afternoon, I would be keen for more opinions .

Regards Opex.

I am not an expert on the bales/bails/loops but they dont look too bad to me. Maybe the bail was just bent outward.
    Could be mistaken though.

?

Quote by anton67 View Post
    I am not an expert on the bales/bails/loops but they dont look too bad to me. Maybe the bail was just bent outward.
    Could be mistaken though.

Hi anton, yes the bales are practically bent flat to the rim on both sides, I did consider trying to bend them back into shape, but have not and am reluctant to try as knowing my luck the bales would snap off, so I will leave them well alone.

Thanks for looking and your comments.

Definitely do not try to bend them.

?

Quote by anton67 View Post
    Definitely do not try to bend them.

Roger on that one anton, not worth worth the risk.

I am hoping to be able to get some more detailed pictures of the bales on this helmet posted here this weekend too.

?

Apologies for the delay in posting more pictures of the bale areas on this helmet,and outside shots of the shell, but here they are,hopefully this will aid the discussion.

Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1
    Fixed bale M1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast