Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Fixed bale M1 helmet

Article about: This was my first fixed bale I bought along time ago. The guy I bought it from said it was his friends,and the friend wore it in the CBI theater. The guy told me that the chin strap broke du

Default re: Fixed bale M1 helmet

That's a Korean issue liner, very nice never the less.
    These liners were late war manafacturer, and re-webbed in the
    50's.
    Still a great collectable

?

Thanks Gaz. Just one more reason to buy the item not the story. I bought this helmet in the late 90's and didn't pay alot so I guess i'm still ahead. Gary

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    Thanks Gaz. Just one more reason to buy the item not the story. I bought this helmet in the late 90's and didn't pay alot so I guess i'm still ahead. Gary
    Absolutely mate, I bought an M1 with the same kind of set up as your's (but mine was swivel bale ).

Bear in mind though that a lot of WW2 lids were reissued for the KW war, with a repaint using these late war liners.
    There's a possibility your's could have been used for this war, it's still got history behind it.
    Personally I feel these KW lids are often over looked as being desirable to collectors...I dunno why?

?

Gaz I agree I still like this helmet. It has a home on my shelf. Gary

I like the camo netting,

the helmet appears to have a Korean war repainted shell & a Korean war era liner

the war ended officially in July 1953, so there is a chance this was used during the Korean war era.

definitely not used in CBI theater with the post WWII liner

the British chin strap is a interesting idea and looks like it would be very useful

Gaz I agree I still like this helmet. It has a home on my shelf. Gary
    Nice one, keep hold of it, maybe one day these KW lids will be as collectable as WW2 M1's

( I hope so 'cos I've got more KW M1's than WW2 one's

Rene some photos of the liner. The more I look at the paint the more I think this is a re-paint. I still like the helmet . What do you think of the liner.
    The dates indicate that the liner was mfg between the later half of '51 and the earlier half of '52, similar to the way the USMC dated their uniforms (not saying it's USMC mind you) --Now I look again there is something strange as it has Capac & Westinghouse logos in the liner was it refurbished in '53? I haven't seen this before
    Last edited by reneblacky; 03-07-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: added text

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    The dates indicate that the liner was mfg between the later half of '51 and the earlier half of '52, similar to the way the USMC dated their uniforms (not saying it's USMC mind you) --Now I look again there is something strange as it has Capac & Westinghouse logos in the liner was it refurbished in '53? I haven't seen this before
    Hi Mate.
    I believe practically all Korean issue liners were double stamped, I personally have a liner that is marked exactly the same way as this one, but I don't think this is the norm,as I have another KW liner, without the 53 between the Westinghouse and Capac stamps.

The mystery continues.............

?

Rene if you need more photos just let me know. I would still like to know when the British chin strap got on it. Probable ten min. before I bought it.Gary

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2