Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fixed bale Schluter??

Article about: I bought this fixed bale shell recently to pair up with my mid war MSA liner. Supposedly it may have been used in 'Saving Private Ryan'. Well I don't know about that but I liked the look of

?

Default Fixed bale Schluter??

I bought this fixed bale shell recently to pair up with my mid war MSA liner. Supposedly it may have been used in 'Saving Private Ryan'. Well I don't know about that but I liked the look of it. It's obviously been restored a bit, a 'tent peg' dent has been pushed out with something like a chisel and some new cork applied. Couldn't find a heat stamp and assumed it was a McCord. But then I remembered that there were differences in the bales. So here's some photos. Are they Schluter style bales or is it wishful thinking?

Fixed bale Schluter??
    Fixed bale Schluter??
    Fixed bale Schluter??

Thanks to this forum, I've ended up with no less than three M1s, one sold to me by Nick of this forum. Two Mk II Brodies, a 1917 Mk I Brodie bought cheaply. A US PASGT, a British Mk6A representing those worn by the Royal Irish in Afghanistan plus the original two helmets I had. My wife doesn't know what to think.

?

Default Re: Fixed bale Schluter??

from the shape of the bails it dose look like it is a Schlueter made shell theirs have a much rounder look to them then McCord made ones.

?

Thanks Nick, that's nice to know.

?

its a nice lid mate & the 29er insignia looks near identical to mine on my SPR prop lid

so they used a original WW2 fixed bail helmet for a movie... WHY?!?! - Nick K

?

Well there's no proof it was used in the movie. Perhaps it was restored at some point in the 29th's colours either as a result of the movie or simply because it looks good. On the other hand, back in '97 there wasn't the same kind of interest in the M1. A fixed bail helmet was simply another M1 and in any case it would have been more authentic for the purposes of the movie.

Maybe it was in the movie maybe it wasn't but I bought the object not the story as every collector advises.

?

my SPR lid is an original WW2 front seamed swivel bail shell with an original Korean war era liner so its not uncommon to use original helmets & helmet parts.

noelh dose yours have any stamps on the inside saying either USSPR or USACAD normally all SPR props had one of these stamps on them as mine dose.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fixed bale Schluter??   Fixed bale Schluter??  

?

No there's nothing to indicate use as a prop. But then again all I have was the shell. The liner I bought separetely and is genuine mid war.
    Now as it happens, I have worked as an extra in various TV and film roles. I've played various characters, from policemen to soldiers etc. In my experience props do have some indication of ownership and indeed they make a big fuss about returning props. I remember wearing a British police helmet for a role. Not only did it have the name of the prop company but indeed had the name of the actor, Derek Fowlds. Some might remember him in 'Heartbeat' playing a policeman. Although the helmet I wore didn't fit with that role.
    My shell has nothing to indicate it was used in a film. But that doesn't matter to me. Because the fact that it is a fixed bail helmet does rather imply that it was used in WW2, even if to quote Patton, he shoveled 'sheet' in Louisiana.

It's interesting that SPR has in itself generated a collectors interest. The fact of it appearing in that film makes it interesting. Look at how many Captain Miller replica helmets there are? I was on a TV shoot recently, one of the assistant directors on it had worked on SPR. I knew him from previous jobs when he told me that he had spent much of the film dressed as a German major. On this job he was wearing a souvenir replica of the Rangers jacket seen in the film. Quite often big productions have a sounvenir for the crew. I offered him nice money for it but he wouldn't part with it. SPR was a big deal for him and he wasn't having it. My cousin worked on the film and he doesn't shut up about it!

Anyway I don't care. It's a fixed bail Schluter. I'm happy.

Fixed bale Schluter??

another detail to look for on a Schlueter shell is the shape of the spot welds on the seam, they should look like a round dimples on Schlueter

?

Quote by noelh View Post
    Anyway I don't care. It's a fixed bail Schluter. I'm happy.
    & so you should be its a very nice original fixed bail Schluter made shell that makes a great display piece i would have bought it my self