Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flower Power! - Vietnam Protest Helmet Liner

Article about: I was given this helmet liner by my mom's cousin this past Christmas. Story he relayed, is he painted this up around 1969. He would have been about 17-18 at the time. It's been sitting in hi

?

Default Flower Power! - Vietnam Protest Helmet Liner

I was given this helmet liner by my mom's cousin this past Christmas. Story he relayed, is he painted this up around 1969. He would have been about 17-18 at the time. It's been sitting in his mom's garage since then.

Not sure what, if any protests he may have worn this to. He didn't really elaborate, and I guess I should have asked, although didn't feel like getting into a political discussion .

Liner is a WWII era CAPAC, with a replaced sweatband dated 1964.

I thought it was a pretty groovy piece (pun intended), showing the signs of the times stateside during the war. Hope you enjoy!

Interesting and unusual piece of social history.

?

Thanks, Douglas.

?

Something I find repulsive, used by cowards that didn't have balls to step forward and serve.
    My personal opinion.

I understand your point of view Steve, but surely we see much more repulsive things on this forum.

?

Steve,
    I have to agree with Douglas, however you are of course entitled to your opinion, as you said. Third Reich items are posted regularly on this forum, and there are far more who would find those items offensive when compared to this liner.

My personal opinion is, all of these items are a part of history, and should be respected as such.

As far the individual being a coward, well all I can say is my mom's cousin is a stand-up guy, and always has been as long as I've known him. I know he registered for the draft, however was never called up. Why he altered this liner as such, well I don't know...

?

Very interesting helmet a snapshot of the U.S at the time. I understand were Steve is coming from after reading what some of the returning troops had go through when they got home. I'v read that the average age of U.S troops in WW2 were about 30 something when at the Vietnam war it was something like 18 years old.

?

Quote by yuengling325 View Post
    Steve,
    I have to agree with Douglas, however you are of course entitled to your opinion, as you said. Third Reich items are posted regularly on this forum, and there are far more who would find those items offensive when compared to this liner.

My personal opinion is, all of these items are a part of history, and should be respected as such.

As far the individual being a coward, well all I can say is my mom's cousin is a stand-up guy, and always has been as long as I've known him. I know he registered for the draft, however was never called up. Why he altered this liner as such, well I don't know...
    Your mom's cousin supported those a$$holes that hated us, the ones that served.
    I kicked the $hit out of more than one of those ba$tards and would do it again today.
    Don't press it friend.

CBH
    ?

I would say if you could find a period photo or even without , you have a piece of American History . Even if some would find it more offensive then others . Still a rare survivor .

The world is full of all kinds. A man who fled the war and his duty to his country later becomes president, commander in chief, its beyond me how enough people would vote for a "man" like this. And another that was an objector is running in this upcoming election. They did not serve when their country needed them, yet they feel they can run that same country they say they love.
    Right or wrong is not the question. Duty to your country when called upon is.
    Those that served and those that fell so we may live in a free country, Thank You. Those that didnt, we dont need you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast