Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Found this helmet this morning at an estate sale

Article about: After some research I'm guessing CPT J.D. Johnson is now Lt. General J.D. Johnson who in 1977 took command of EUSA. Here's some info because the photos aren't very clear. It's a rear seam Sw

Default Found this helmet this morning at an estate sale

After some research I'm guessing CPT J.D. Johnson is now Lt. General J.D. Johnson who in 1977 took command of EUSA. Here's some info because the photos aren't very clear.

It's a rear seam Swivel Bail heat stamped 1264H. And I looked up the brass plate markings to find the following.

United Nations Command - UNC

Eighth Uinted States Army - EUSA

U.S Army Aviation School Motto - "ABOVE THE BEST"

And all I could find regarding ABN GAWEDA was some info on a Command Sgt Major Gaweda, any thoughts?

Brass plate says -

CPT J.D. JOHNSON

CO UNC EUSA HONOR GUARD

"ABOVE THE BEST"

FROM (ABN) GAWEDA

DEC 71

?

I can not help with ID or info but that is a badass looking Chrome Dome in its shining glory. I hope this turns out for the best for you!!! That is Pattonish extravagances to say the least
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks, I really hope it's what I think it is.

Visited Quartzite last year for that rock show, someone told me it was a great flea market but I didn't find much there. Not far from you is it? I was gonna move to Prescott but recently chose the Bay area (Roseville to be specific) Just because the military pickins seemed so good. In any event, it's better than where I just came from, Las Vegas.

?

Quartzsite!!! It a little over an hour north of me. Depending how I drive and where the AZDPS are posting themselves. I'm also a rock hound. That is a good swapmeet if you are there during the snowbird season.As far as pickin's here they are very slim in Yuma.
    We should keep in contact. I used to dig around the Castle Dome,KOFA's and Big eye mines.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Am frankly surprised that the family would even have gotten rid of it! What an excellent find! Was it pricey?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Will do, at some point in the near future we plan on getting a small camper for traveling the areas best flea markets.

It only cost me 30 bucks and the guy that sold it to me had no idea who the owner was so I'm guessing he got it second hand judging bu the variety of stuff he had. Looked to be a picker himself and mentioned that he did clean outs and hauling. General Johnson is still serving the country so who knows if it was even the family that passed it along. I venture to guess that this is him but it almost doesn't make sense to assume it is not.

?

I would be making some phone calls/emails /letters to the General. That helmet with a pic of you shaking hands with "Da Man" would make for an AWESOME display!!!!
    Just saying
    Semper Fi
    Phil