Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

front seam mild steel rim!

Article about: Great ideas guys, the same kind of thoughts I had. I thought you may find it interesting and a bit of a puzzle like I did, all the details of this helmet don’t add up. Which made me think cl

Default Re: front seam mild steel rim!

Great ideas guys, the same kind of thoughts I had.
    I thought you may find it interesting and a bit of a puzzle like I did, all the details of this helmet don’t add up. Which made me think clone or messed with.
    I took these pictures before we had our discussion about the Canadian helmets on the link, but chose not to post them at that time in case it messed with our heads lol.
    What I will do is go and see him sometime this week and get a better pictures of the stamp and put an McCord side by side with it to see the profile.
    He bought it at a military fair. It did have a clone liner in it.
    Looks like it has non stainless steel hinges and bales as well, did the US ever change this detail with swivels as well as the rims. I will have to look again at this detail when I see it again.
    Hey but keep the thoughts coming and thanks.
    Best regards
    Rod

The front seam manganese rim makes one think that it could be an October 1944 production (a limited number of front seam manganese rims were produced during the front seam/stainless rear seam/manganese switch), but the hinged loops are steel and therefore 1945 or later.

Btw what's with the roller around the bales? The weld marks make me think of a McCord production but given the dome stamp and font type there's really no way.

This is some kind of clone.

?

Quote by kenbent View Post
    The front seam manganese rim makes one think that it could be an October 1944 production (a limited number of front seam manganese rims were produced during the front seam/stainless rear seam/manganese switch), but the hinged loops are steel and therefore 1945 or later.

Btw what's with the roller around the bales? The weld marks make me think of a McCord production but given the dome stamp and font type there's really no way.

This is some kind of clone.
    Ive never seen any kind of euro clone to have the same type of heat stamp as the US made M-1 im still very much on the side of this being US just another one of those oddities that show up from time to time ?

- - Updated - -

i think this would be good to be posted on USMF ?

Quote by NickD View Post
    Ive never seen any kind of euro clone to have the same type of heat stamp as the US made M-1 im still very much on the side of this being US just another one of those oddities that show up from time to time ?

Agreed, only the Canadian licensed M-1 as far as I know and I think I'm going to leave that out of my thought process, at least for now as I'm leaning more towards this being a US shell now...or maybe not......great help ey!

I've heard talk about miss stamped heat stamps and I see no reason one could not get messed up, but just for my own education, does anyone have or has anyone ever seen one that was conclusively a US lid?

One thing for certain, we'll all be a little smarter on M-1s when this thread comes to it's conclusion.

Russ

Its been a month since i saw this helmet If memory serves me right I think it has later or repo chin straps Kenbent. Someone has had a go at tarting it up. Removing the paint and giving it a sand texture outside coat ect.
    Nick I might post it over there , but first i will get some better pictures.
    Russ thats why I posted it I wanted to find out what’s the story with this one (no point just scarching my head)
    I had another crazy thought, could it be possible that some clown at some time has managed to take the rim off and put it on the other way round to try and pass it off as front seam, and still have a miss stamped heat stamp . And when did the letter on the heat stamp disappear. Post war?
    Thanks again
    Rod

Rod, these lids are so easy to come by at cheep prices that there would be no reason for someone to go through the trouble to spin the rim around and pass off as a front seam, but anything is possible.

It's probably just a heat stamp goof as NIck and others have said. I'm sure someone or everyone will bring enough information to the table to eventually reach a reasonable conclusion.

Regards,

Russ

I know what your saying Russ my thoughts aswell exactly. Thats why I was saying that it may have been a clown that may have done this, we do get them in this life don’t we.
    Could be right that its just one of those coincidences thats its has a front seam and a miss stamped heat stamp.

As I say mate I will get more pictures later this week. They might help.
    Regards
    Rod

Quote by NickD View Post

- - Updated - -

i think this would be good to be posted on USMF ?
    I'm pretty sure that's a post war batch number. That's not a WWII McCord marking. What's so odd about this lid is the variety of characteristics. It's like a mix of different era's in one single helmet.
    It could be that McCord (I'm speculating here) had to stock a couple of front seam manganese helmets when they made the switch to rear seam. Could be that a couple of these lids were finished and reissued after the war???

Well guys I got more pictures. And he let me clean the area of the heat stamp and bingo I think you are correct it has missing digits looks like another line a little away from it, which might be a 1 or another letter so it might be something like this 1*12B.
    And it does have later chin straps, also included a pic of the clone liner that was in it.
    Well done it solves part of the puzzle but it still doesn’t explain the mag front seam with mag bales. May just be a later manufacturing fault.
    Cheers
    Rod

front seam mild steel rim!front seam mild steel rim!front seam mild steel rim!front seam mild steel rim!

Hmm... The paint and liner remind me of 1950's Belgian M1 clones.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast