Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Good paint for Nam era M1 restoration?

Article about: Hello all, I am in the planning stages for restoration of one of my M1's to US Vietnam era specifications. I believe the helmet is originally a nam era M1, it has heat mark MWA50 and has anc

Default Good paint for Nam era M1 restoration?

Hello all,

I am in the planning stages for restoration of one of my M1's to US Vietnam era specifications. I believe the helmet is originally a nam era M1, it has heat mark MWA50 and has anchor mark on chinstraps. The helmet has been repainted in Yellow and black, ARVN Rangers style and I just don't like it! As this is my first resto job, I will take it slow and read up a LOT!

The first problem I am encountering is paint! As I am in Australia, it is very hard to find proper OD paint, Most of the US sellers I have contacted don't want to/can't ship overseas.

Would I regret using tamia ts-5 olive drab paint for us vietnam helmet? Has anyone ever used modeling paint for restoration jobs?

Thanks

Kind regards,

?

Default Re: Good paint for Nam era M1 restoration?

your M-1 is actually an Aussie made M-1 not US Australia M1 - Brendon's Helmets

Quote by NickD View Post
    your M-1 is actually an Aussie made M-1 not US Australia M1 - Brendon's Helmets
    Thanks NickD,

I have been trying to figure out the origin. How did you know? As interesting as the page you linked was, it didn't provide that information.

Now to investigate the paint on the Aussie made M-1's!

Kind regards,
    Chris

?

the heat stamp number yours has is that of Aussie made shells there is a thread about these somewhere here if i can find it i'll link it here later.

Heads up Nickyou've solved a big piece of the puzzle for me,these stamps have been bugging me for ages,even on "Brendons Helmets"it does,nt show the heat stamp.I always thought they were some rare McCord stamp glad in a way they weren't,please still provide the link,now I can sleep more easily...............Jake.

?

this is what i was thinking of but it doesn't contain as much info as i thought Australian made M-1 style helmets - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum