Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

grabbed a rear seam helmet cheap

Article about: by NickD if it looks like this then the chin strap is not VN era this style was used from the late 70's to the early 80's but the shell might be of the correct era. no, it looks like the fir

Default Re: grabbed a rear seam helmet cheap

Quote by NickD View Post
    if it looks like this then the chin strap is not VN era this style was used from the late 70's to the early 80's but the shell might be of the correct era.
    no, it looks like the first one NICK, but different straps, they are about wore out, but have the split chin & snap together, but it does have the rear split seam. thanks for your help I do appreciate it. SEMPER FI to you.

?

yeah the chin strap isn't VN era but if you wish to change it theres sellers on ebay that sell original VN era versions

I just noticed that a an M1 I have owned for years from a junkyard find has a front seam but a swivel bale. I cannot see any markings on the inside. Anybody kow what period this is from?

Edit correction: I just found some faint stamped numbers or letters inside just above the visor area. I can't make them out with my poor eyesight and I doubt they would show well in a photo. I will look harder with a magnifying glass tomorrow in daylight. It is 2AM here. I also need to get a new digital camera as my daughter decided to play with mine and it won't work anymore.

Quote by NickD View Post
    yeah the chin strap isn't VN era but if you wish to change it theres sellers on ebay that sell original VN era versions
    yeah , I got a bud on ebay, he has the right straps, just have to lay them out in the sun for a few days, but I can't cry about the price, thanks for your help.

Quote by tampalam View Post
    I just noticed that a an M1 I have owned for years from a junkyard find has a front seam but a swivel bale. I cannot see any markings on the inside. Anybody kow what period this is from?

Edit correction: I just found some faint stamped numbers or letters inside just above the visor area. I can't make them out with my poor eyesight and I doubt they would show well in a photo. I will look harder with a magnifying glass tomorrow in daylight. It is 2AM here. I also need to get a new digital camera as my daughter decided to play with mine and it won't work anymore.
    front seam, I am no expert, sounds like early ww2, first model, think 2nd model, later ww2 was rear seam.good luck.

Thanks Crazy Horse. I am not interested in selling it if it turns out to be WWII era and because there are badly chipped off large areas of paint on the outside top with rust in some spots inside, so probably not worth much at all. I am interested to know if it is WWII just to get it a proper liner and display it in the right way eventually. I also noticed that the paint is a dark smooth olive green and probably repainted since there are some runny paint areas.The paint is thick and a slightly lighter color in the first layer where it is chipped. Same light coat and color inside. Could the darker paint be from patination?

Thanks Crazy Horse. I am not interested in selling it if it turns out to be WWII era and because there are badly chipped off large areas of paint on the outside top with rust in some spots inside, so probably not worth much at all. I am interested to know if it is WWII just to get it a proper liner and display it in the right way eventually. I also noticed that the paint is a dark smooth olive green and probably repainted since there are some runny paint areas.The paint is thick and a slightly lighter color in the first layer where it is chipped. Same light coat and color inside. Could the darker paint be from patination?
    might be from rubbing on the liner, it does sound 1st issue ww2, because of the front seam, does it have any rough looking spots on the outside like sawdust?, if not they may have sanded it off, but being a front seam, it sounds like first model ww2, there is a thread on how to tell down in the forum list.your lucky, I have 2 rear seams & only 1 front seam, which I have my marine Pacific cammo cover on, it's my fav, well maybe my later rear seam para. can't decide. check out that thread on how to tell if it's an m-1, etc, good luck, but sounds like a 1st ww2 .

Just took a bright light at an angle with a magnifying glass to the stamped numbers and I read 899F Does this mean anything to anyone here? Is it a batch number? Manufacturer code? I am very curious now thinking my 1 dollar junkyard pickup from ten years ago might be a WWII veteran.

?

that number is whats known as THE HEAT OF THE STAMP NUMBER this is what was used for quality control purposes but yeah front seamed swivel bail is of WW2 manufacture

the dark olive green is the right color for ww2, just looked at my old one, it is dark green also, it is ww2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast