Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Grey U.S. Navy fixed bale M1

Article about: I picked up this beauty today! It is one of my favorite helmets. It is a complete, untouched McCord fixed bale M1 that was painted Navy grey. The liner is a Westinghouse and the heat stamp l

Default Grey U.S. Navy fixed bale M1

I picked up this beauty today! It is one of my favorite helmets. It is a complete, untouched McCord fixed bale M1 that was painted Navy grey. The liner is a Westinghouse and the heat stamp looks like it's 271C. Can anyone date the shell for me?

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking...

(The helmet is only temporarily on the styrofoam head for photos.)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grey U.S. Navy fixed bale M1   Grey U.S. Navy fixed bale M1  

Grey U.S. Navy fixed bale M1   Grey U.S. Navy fixed bale M1  

Grey U.S. Navy fixed bale M1   Grey U.S. Navy fixed bale M1  

Default Re: Grey U.S. Navy fixed bale M1

Awesome lid, Mo! I like that shade of light battleship gray.

Your smiling foam head made me lol

Cool lid. You don't see Navy helmets quite as often.........
    Regards,

Steve.

I don't know if you've done much research on Navy lids, Mo, but it seems like the regulations for color and markings were made on a ship by ship basis. As such, color, symbols, etc. will vastly differ. I've seen navy lids that are "normal" green, I've seen ones the same color gray as yours, darker gray, I've seen some with sailor's names on them, with ship numbers, battle station or class designations on them (for example, AA battery numbers, radio man lightning bolts, etc.)

Here is a lid I had restored to exactly mimic the helmet that my best friend's grandpa wore as a radio man on a large landing ship:

Nice lid, Mo

Next on my list, I think. Unless something else comes along as usually happens. Do you collect mostly U.S. or German?

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    Nice lid, Mo

Next on my list, I think. Unless something else comes along as usually happens. Do you collect mostly U.S. or German?

Green
    I collect whatever I can find that I like and can afford.

This helmet just called to me for some reason.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    I don't know if you've done much research on Navy lids, Mo, but it seems like the regulations for color and markings were made on a ship by ship basis. As such, color, symbols, etc. will vastly differ. I've seen navy lids that are "normal" green, I've seen ones the same color gray as yours, darker gray, I've seen some with sailor's names on them, with ship numbers, battle station or class designations on them (for example, AA battery numbers, radio man lightning bolts, etc.)

Here is a lid I had restored to exactly mimic the helmet that my best friend's grandpa wore as a radio man on a large landing ship:
    I'm hoping the number of the liner may lead me to a ship name. I will have to get on that!

I'm glad you guys all like it!

I like it!

Good one mo I believe we have similar tastes pretty much any militaria as long as we have the $$$ lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast