Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Happy to have Mr Hawley on my shelf

Article about: Hi, Visited a small Militaria fair this morning in the South of Belgium and thought I share my aquired goodies Came back with this fine liner. Second type Hawley in pretty good shape. Chinst

Default Happy to have Mr Hawley on my shelf

Hi,

Visited a small Militaria fair this morning in the South of Belgium and thought I share my aquired goodies
    Came back with this fine liner.
    Second type Hawley in pretty good shape. Chinstrap missing unfortunately, but pretty happy with it.
    The liner came with a painted major rank fixed bales M1, bras hardware , no heatstamp but the shape of the bales, tells me it could be a Schleuter shell.
    Not to sure about the paintjob, but it still is a nice early war pot.

Any more info on the two, always welcome.

Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Happy to have Mr Hawley on my shelf   Happy to have Mr Hawley on my shelf  

Happy to have Mr Hawley on my shelf   Happy to have Mr Hawley on my shelf  

Very nice find
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

MAP
    ?

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    Very nice find
    +1

Very nice! Congrats! Every M1 collection needs a Hawley!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thx guys,

The leather strap is missing and I was wondering if it would be possible to..
    1: Find one
    2 : attach it without ruining the liner, because of the fixed connection.

Anyone did it before?

P
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Happy to have Mr Hawley on my shelf  

Hi i think this set is an awesome purchase.your correct regarding the shell maker.the Liner is a september 1942 transitional Liner consisting of first production run permanent chinstrap posts but with early O/D khaki webbing with a nice D/W sweat/headband.regarding a leather chinstrap replacement firstly you would have to find an un-issued one that hasn't already been riveted at one end or it cannot be added onto the liner,also an original would be so costly and fragile the chances of adding it without damaging it would be a miracle.hence why most are generally missing having been lost to time.it's a great set regardless of chinstrap missing.........

Thanks RR44 for the update on the date of production. How the hell do you pinpoint a month ?

Yes, guess it would be a mission impossible, and several people working on and restoring helmets told me to resist the urge to repair it, and leave it in the fine state that it is.

Peter

McCord Heat treatment production guide but still useful even though some discrepancies have been found.Sorry forgot its not a McCord Lol had a stressful day.Fixed Loop "s"shell spring 43-oct 43.Liner is as I've stated,no known Heat chart for Schlueter.my mistake.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Happy to have Mr Hawley on my shelf  

No worries. I have a few McCords laying around also. That chart has gone straight to my saved documents. Great info.