MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Has Anybody Seen Anything Like This?

Article about: Good grief........... Early WW2 US M-1 fixed loop helmet and liner | eBay Seems to be quite the fashion! Regards, Andy

?

Default Has Anybody Seen Anything Like This?

It was om eBay, with a buy it now of $180.00. It sold quickly. There was no real description.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Has Anybody Seen Anything Like This?   Has Anybody Seen Anything Like This?  

Has Anybody Seen Anything Like This?   Has Anybody Seen Anything Like This?  

Has Anybody Seen Anything Like This?  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

Default Re: Has Anybody Seen Anything Like This?

Probably painted in the 60's or 70's. It looks cool, like a turtle shell. Still, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Regards, Corey

?

maybe done for a kid to play army like his dad ?

?

Seems too crudely done to be an offical army job.

Nitram

?

i think its meant to be USMC theres an EGA on the painted 5 decal.

It was I who purchased it. Still looking for any sort of references, but my thoughts were a late war USMC, with what looks to have been done with the lighter shade of "Navy" gray that was common later and along with the brighter "Forrest green" sometimes seen with USMC items. I have other Marine pieces with the "turtle" splotches of green camo applied to it as well. The wear on it looks good in my eyes, especially the crude overpaint on a well worn liner, on the rivets that are in contact with the inner shell and the way in which the paint appears around the cracks in the liner. Maybe my gut feelings were wrong, but will see when I return to the States and have it in hand.

?

Quote by HoovieDude View Post
    It was I who purchased it. Still looking for any sort of references, but my thoughts were a late war USMC, with what looks to have been done with the lighter shade of "Navy" gray that was common later and along with the brighter "Forrest green" sometimes seen with USMC items. I have other Marine pieces with the "turtle" splotches of green camo applied to it as well. The wear on it looks good in my eyes, especially the crude overpaint on a well worn liner, on the rivets that are in contact with the inner shell and the way in which the paint appears around the cracks in the liner. Maybe my gut feelings were wrong, but will see when I return to the States and have it in hand.
    HoovieDude, I was seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on that one. You beat me! I was trying to find some references when you bought it. My thoughts were Vietnam era for the paintwork, the garish green said 60's/70's to me. Green splotches over Navy grey has Marines written all over it. It's either a unique one off, or a painted liner used as a toy. I hope it turns out to be the former but it is going to be so difficult to verify.
    Whatever it turns out to be, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

As already stated not WWII military done.
    Westinghouse produced a camoflage painted liner for jungle use from late 1942 till 1944. It did not look a thing like the one posted. It most likely done for a kid to play with.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    As already stated not WWII military done.
    Westinghouse produced a camoflage painted liner for jungle use from late 1942 till 1944. It did not look a thing like the one posted. It most likely done for a kid to play with.
    That is a very definitive statement right there. And you are correct about the Camo Westy's, and I am lucky to have one, especially as many were later repainted over either at the factory, or in the field. But, why would a unit or individually painted liner need or have to look like the factory produced? I have a couple in my possession that look nothing like the factory Westy's. That is like saying no helmets were camouflaged in WW2, because they didn't leave the factory that way.

Ruined liner, IMO, and a waste of $180.

Or maybe it's just me - hard to get my head
    around a U.S. liner costing that much.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-31-2012 at 11:51 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast