Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Hawley / General Fibre Company Liner Question

Article about: Here is my Hawley / General Fibre Company Liner for the M1 Helmet. To the best of my knowledge this is a "transitional" Type 2 paper fibre liner. The chin strap baffles me. It is q

Michael Thomas
    ?

Question Hawley / General Fibre Company Liner Question

Here is my Hawley / General Fibre Company Liner for the M1 Helmet. To the best of my knowledge this is a "transitional" Type 2 paper fibre liner.

The chin strap baffles me. It is quite irregular. There are extra buckles in the interior to make it a removable chinstrap. The buckle on the exterior is different as well. It does not have square edges. Has anyone seen this configuration on an M1 Helmet liner? The chinstrap feels as old and brittle as the rest of the liner. It can be torn like paper. The A washers have green paint on them. The headband is filthy and I have a hard time distinguishing it as leather or vinyl.

Any insight is welcome.

Thanks

Mike

?

Default Re: Hawley / General Fibre Company Liner Question

the chin strap is not original it looks to be a repair/replacement probably done by original owner.

Yes period replacement IMO.
    It kind of looks like an old fashioned strap from like a lady’s hand bag (purse) or something.
    Adds character .
    Rod

?

I have seen this chinstrap somewhere. Give me a moment to try and find it again.

EDIT - I can't remember where I saw it, but I know I saw it on some European helmet, because I thought to myself "Damn that looks inefficient". If I remember what it was, or find it again, I'll send you a link.

Nitram