Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Heat Stamp Question - M1's

Article about: I pose the question, to the experts, as to the accuracy of dating an M-1 based on the heat stamp? I’ve seen countless threads where an approximate production date has been given based on the

Default Heat Stamp Question - M1's

I pose the question, to the experts, as to the accuracy of dating an M-1 based on the heat stamp? I’ve seen countless threads where an approximate production date has been given based on the heat stamp provided. It all seemed to make sense to me, at least at the time.

I recently picked up a M-1 post war shell, I’m assuming post war anyway because of the Mg rim, rear seam and sand texture and VN ear chin strap. However, the shell has a heat stamp of M315H which, if my memory serves me correct, is a very low heat stamp number. Or maybe I am mistaken or simply interpreting the heat stamp wrong as it relates to a post war helmet. Can someone set me straight on this issue please?

My son is getting me the Helmets of the ETO book, for my b-day next month, which I think will shed some light on this however, I’ll go bonkers between now and then trying to figure this out.

I purchased this lid, solely for the chin strap, which I need to complete my kids VN ear M1, it was a $15 buy, but until I get the story straight on this lid, I think I leave things alone for the moment.

Thanks in advance,

Russ & Son

?

Default Re: Heat Stamp Question - M1's

its fine i have a Nam era lid with a similar low number but they're post war shells.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heat Stamp Question - M1's  

Thanks Nick, it had me wondering there for a minute, always saw folks posting 500 and 600 numbers for late war lids, being down in the 300's made me scratching my head as everything else about this shell is Nam era.

I might just keep it anyway and go in search for another chin strap for our other M-1, she's kinda looking good sitting there on the shelf all old and tiered!

?

yeah i think with these types the use of the letter before & after the number is not something ive come across on WW2 made shells so maybe these are early 60's made shells ?

have a look on ebay you can pick up Nam era chin straps for around $12-$15 each.

I see...I'm getting a better understanding of these things every day. I've taken a liking to these M-1's, it's too bad my kid does not share this particular interest, he's more into the gas masks.....but my budget is far better than his so he often gets what suits my fancy better

I bid on a helmet strap, on Ebay, earlier this week but a last second bid of $20 stole it from me. I'll keep my eyes peeled. The little antique store that had this M-1 I just bought had 3 lids, all for $15 each, all had chin straps, I should have just snatched all 3 of them up and been done with it.

Thanks again for the help.

Russ
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 08-19-2011 at 06:18 PM.

?

heres a few heat stamp numbers all from WW2 shells all McCord made some fixed bail some swivel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heat Stamp Question - M1's   Heat Stamp Question - M1's  

Heat Stamp Question - M1's   Heat Stamp Question - M1's  

Heat Stamp Question - M1's  
    Attached Images Attached Images Heat Stamp Question - M1's 

I see what your are saying Nick, no alpha prefix on any of the WWII shells.

I've just snapped a few photos of the M1 and will be posting soon, it's got a few markings on it that I'm not sure of, authentic or kids chicken scratch? We'll ask the pros.

Thanks again,

Russ

NCA
    ?

One things for sure, you wont regret buying that book on M1's.Lovely big and glossy and full of useful information.My only regret is not buying it sooner!

?

your welcome

i'll keep a look out for your lid when ya post it