Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Helmet foliage band info needed

Article about: by edelweiss123 Hi Dave, well this is something thats going to keep me entertained for the day! I can see where you're coming from with it being from surplus materiel that would have made th

?

Default Re: Helmet foliage band info needed

Quote by edelweiss123 View Post
    Hi Dave, well this is something thats going to keep me entertained for the day! I can see where you're coming from with it being from surplus materiel that would have made the Mk3 chinstraps though! After doing a little searching the only picture i can find is this one. Don't know if its period though.
    who's Dave

it is indeed a head scratcher

?

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hi Nick,all I can add to the discussion is that back in the late 80's early 90's our local government surplus store here in Norwich UK,had piles of US M1 helmets with various covers(Mitchel,woodland etc).They ALL had these thick elasticated bands on.There must have been 200 lids in all and not one with the normal thin band! I always wondered whether the US authorities kept the original bands as they were still in use on the Kevlar helmets and just made some cheap replacements for the surplus lids? Leon.
    good info Leon maybe they were intended for NATO use & used surplus chin strap material to do the same job as the thin foliage bands instead of chucking it ?

?

Leon might have given us a clue , RAF LAKENHEATH and MILDENHALL are in Norfolk and i seem to remember that their personel used to wear this band when on guard and securityy detail

Quote by davejb View Post
    Leon might have given us a clue , RAF LAKENHEATH and MILDENHALL are in Norfolk and i seem to remember that their personel used to wear this band when on guard and securityy detail
    Hi Dave,that would make perfect sense as to the source of the M1 helmets in Norwich! I know for a fact that the owner of the surplus store used to go to the local MOD auctions and bring back heaps of RAF uniforms,m6/m10 gas masks,DPM cammo etc.I'm sure he would also have gone to Lakenheath/Mildenhall as he also used to get US cammo(I still have one,pictured below!!)If I recall correctly,the unit on my cammo below was stationed at Lakenheath. Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet foliage band info needed   Helmet foliage band info needed  

?

so its possible these helmets came out of airbase at Lakenheath ??

JBR
    ?

This is interesting, isn't it? I remember seeing an M1 on eBay a few years ago (I think) that was being sold as used by British guards (RAF Regiment?) at UK bases used by US forces. I can't remember which specific base the seller had served at. I also can't remember whether the helmet had one of these bands! However, it does seem US kit was issued to British personnel - does anyone know more about this? Best Regards,

?

ive been searching pictures of the airbase at Lakenheath ive not seen any M-1s being worn yet but i did see a PASGT being used with an M-1 cover.

?

well even though i cant find any pics so far of M-1's in use i did find this that i found quite interesting its a PASGT being worn with an M-1 cover

RAF Lakenheath - Media Gallery
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet foliage band info needed   Helmet foliage band info needed  

Quote by NickD View Post
    who's Dave

it is indeed a head scratcher
    Blonde Moment, sorry

?

no worries ive been called worse

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast