Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin

Article about: Got this helmet here from a workmate, says he was going to throw it in the bin but luckily remembered I collect military stuff so he gave me it for free, ill pay him back though with somethi

Angry Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin

Got this helmet here from a workmate, says he was going to throw it in the bin but luckily remembered I collect military stuff so he gave me it for free, ill pay him back though with something he will love .-) looks like an American M1 to me, anyone know if its the real deal or a repro? feels heavy and strong, he says the ace of spades card was added by himself and not part of the helmet, liner says "LOT A1" or something, and wording on the camo cover, is it worth taking off the liner to see the shell? I imagine id never be able to get it back on again, what year could helmet be from?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin   Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin  

Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin   Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin  

Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin   Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin  

I'm not known for my ability to identify US helmets but I certainly think you have a genuine US paratroop helmet, the M1C model, in use from the middle-Sixties onwards. I don;t know of any English-language webpage to direct you to, but if you have a look here - .: World War Helmets - Casque US M-1 C Model 1964 :. - you may be able to confirm my suspicion. A very good gift, anyway!

It doesn't appear to have paratroopers harness to me. I would guess Viet Nam era.
    Great gift for free!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

took the camo cover off, quite light green coloured...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin   Helmet that was going to be thrown in the bin  

Looks like 70's-80's. There was a guy with
    a big box full of these at a show about
    12 years ago - $10 each.........
    Regards,

Steve.

What you have is a basic steel pot, probably post 1973, and a Paratroop liner for the the M1C model post 1964, but before 1973-ish. The shell has the last model clip-on chin strap version, post 1973, and the cover is a late (1980) small pattern ERDL pre-Woodland pattern. Nothing to get too excited about, but a nice example of the late period of use of the good old M1.
    The liner with the M1C cradles and snaps can bring a bit on ebay. If it was me, I'd ditch the paratroop liner and mate the shell and cover with a last pattern liner with the completely removable webbing harness M73 as well. You don't have the correct chinstrap to mate with the liner, and it's missing the chin strap for the cradles.

Dear Brataccas,

Beautiful gift my friend you are lucky.....have you tried to see inside the shell near the ''brim'' if there are heat numbers?

Very nice free gift brataccas you have a good friend ,the shell has had the chinstrap upgrade issued from 1975 onwards , i should imagine this is the reason why the A yokes have no chin support section ,the late erdl cover is dated 1980 and most likely the last run of this camo pattern ,the m81 woodland pattern followed soon after ,i would be inclined to leave it be as found ,just tuck the A yokes up into the liner

A nice 1980's era M1 helmet. If you decide to add the correct chinstraps for the shell, try to add straps with the letter 'P' marked on the steel hardware.

A good 1980's M1C para liner that just needs it's chinstrap, also the steel just needs a para chinstrap for the shell as mentioned above. A nice gift! Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast