Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet identification (No markings)

Article about: Hi, I picked up this M1 helmet and was hoping to get some help identifying what it is. I wasn't able to find any markings on either the shell or the liner, with the exception of what looks l

Default Helmet identification (No markings)

Hi, I picked up this M1 helmet and was hoping to get some help identifying what it is. I wasn't able to find any markings on either the shell or the liner, with the exception of what looks like a scratched 13 on the liner. The fabric in the liner had no stamping on it whatsoever, nor could I find anything on the shell. The shell looks to possibly be repainted. I can see remains of what looks to be a light blue near the brim of the helmet. So this would instinctively make me think UN helmet, but I wouldn't have a clue. So I was hoping to possibly get some help identifying what it is. I was hoping it might be US, but given the lack of markings I don't feel good about that anymore.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet identification (No markings)   Helmet identification (No markings)  

Helmet identification (No markings)   Helmet identification (No markings)  

Helmet identification (No markings)   Helmet identification (No markings)  

Helmet identification (No markings)  

Greetings,

In my opinion it is most likely a 'Euro-clone' M1 and not made in the US. The liner is most certainly one; possibly Dutch or Belgian, I would say late 1980's or early '90's manufacture. A photo of the chinstraps would help point out if they are also of European make. I agree looks to be the UN blue on liner and under the re-paint.

Thank you for you reply and for the information, I appreciate it. I've taken some pictures of the chinstrap, and hopefully that helps. Shame it's not a US one, but I guess that's what happens when I don't do my homework.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Helmet identification (No markings)   Helmet identification (No markings)  

I would say its Belgian made. Shell and straps perhaps the MLE-51 model. I think that UN helmets are interesting and regret selling all my euro clones.

Thank you for that. Even if it's not what I was hoping for that's still very interesting. A helmet's a helmet, and it's got it's own unique history, especially with the UN thing. I'll look into maybe stripping the new green layer, but I don't imagine I'd have much luck without also stripping the blue. It's still a nice piece to have, given that I'm really not much into M1's. Eastern bloc helmets are more my thing. Though funnily enough this isn't actually my first M1 clone. I also have a West German paratrooper helmet (M61 I think).

So I was scrolling through the forum, having thought the case for this helmet was closed. However I came across the Argentinian M1 in this post, a post I thoroughly enjoyed by the way, worth a read. Argentinian M1c and M1 helmets Falklands/ Malvinas conflict 1982.
    I noticed that my helmet looked vaguely similar to the Argentinian M1, and looked into said helmet further. Could the above helmet perhaps be an Argentinian helmet?
    Here's another thread that was also very interesting. Argentinian M-1