Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Helmet -Strange mix of M1 parts

Article about: Hi Fellow Collectors. I thought this M1 may be of interest due to the mix of parts and odd chinstrap, I have many M1 helmets but this one is a bit of a "Frankenstein" , so hopefull

?

Default Helmet -Strange mix of M1 parts

Hi Fellow Collectors.

I thought this M1 may be of interest due to the mix of parts and odd chinstrap, I have many M1 helmets but this one is a bit of a "Frankenstein" , so hopefully will be a talking point. the shell is a F/ S swivel bale heat stamped 932F ( I think) with a strange non-corked finish , the liner an early 60's Firestone, cover 1979 dated ERDL, the chinstrap no ideas what so ever, maybe a field repair ???

?

Looks like there was some cork in the paint but not much.

?

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Looks like there was some cork in the paint but not much.

Thanks Steve R, there is remnants of the original finish, could be one of those shells that has been recycled through various US conflicts?

Looks like it was recycled and reused post Vietnam.
    The cover is post VN era (70s-80s).

The head band looks like it is dated 1974.

Never noticed before Gary but this Firestone was pressed using a Government mold rather than the famous "F" stamped,but I did read both Firestone and Marmac did likewise,nice to see slight differances in production instead of the usual run of the mill stuff.............

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Never noticed before Gary but this Firestone was pressed using a Government mold rather than the famous "F" stamped,but I did read both Firestone and Marmac did likewise,nice to see slight differances in production instead of the usual run of the mill stuff.............

Thanks Jake, yes this is one of the US Gov leased molds, I was reading up about this subject awhile back in a Reynosa book, there are fascinating differences in the Firestone and Marmac liners. I am glad it has the yellow numerals as this gave it away as being Firestone

Thanks for raising this point buddy

Just for comparison I have a nice Firestone dated 16-6-65 and clearly has the yellow numbers stamped,and only last year I saw another liner with the exact same contract date but had a Marmac stamp,but that too had the yellow numbering so unless seperate makers shared the same contract this has to be a Firestone.

?

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Just for comparison I have a nice Firestone dated 16-6-65 and clearly has the yellow numbers stamped,and only last year I saw another liner with the exact same contract date but had a Marmac stamp,but that too had the yellow numbering so unless seperate makers shared the same contract this has to be a Firestone.

Hi Jake that is an interesting point buddy, I have some Marmac examples somewhere, perhaps it would be useful to create a thread on the similarities/distinctions of these DoD lease mold productions??

PS.I am not convinced of this as I do not have them to hand, but I have a feeling the Marmacs have white numbers ????