Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help in dating a liner

Article about: Hello gents; I have a Westinghouse liner which, by the suspension folded pleats, should be an early production; but it bears also green "A" washers instead of the unpainted ones. I

Well i just don't see how O/D washers in 43 got added to Liners with turned in headband ends?when there's months between unless these are not O/D but another chemically treated unpainted steel A washers,in the ETO book it states "several chemical protective finishes were tested on the two types of washers currently under production" these may or could be these finishes but have darkened the steel to make it appear to be O/D again just a theory.!

Love that lid Ian, been there done it , the scars of war.

Hi I took a picture of the liner assemblies time line and it does show that the turned in HBT continued into 1943 on it. It states in the book after October 1942 (so how far after?) the ends were not turned in, so maybe they started to change the machinery that webbed up the liners after October 1942 and that it took some time to reconfigure all the machines to do it. My thinking is that you couldn't take all the machinery off production to make the changes without affecting output thus losing money??? Just a thought.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in dating a liner  

In another book I recently acquired called 'The M-1 helmet of the World War II GI' by Pieter Oosterman I found pictures and a description that backs up my thinking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help in dating a liner   Help in dating a liner  

I have just ordered helmets of the ETO for reference, maybe i can stop pestering Jake now, should have got one or two years ago really.
    Great info on HBT , something else i have learned, must check my pots now.

That was the one book i don't have and was recomended by my dear belated friend Andy,he always said this was the most accurate of them all,and it clearly shows the info so there you go,i don't know everything.............

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    That was the one book i don't have and was recomended by my dear belated friend Andy,he always said this was the most accurate of them all,and it clearly shows the info so there you go,i don't know everything.............
    Hi Jake only got this book over a week ago but had my eye on it for a while but at £75 I'd always put off buying it. There was a seller on amazon selling it for £47 so went for it. It's a very big and heavy book and just been browsing through it on off. I think it will take me some time to get through it. I totally recommend it as the pictures are so detailed and close up

Its a great book and pete has a website too,with many items from the book for sale,unfortunately there not cheap.!i'm not the best just trying to do my bit.!thanks for the info now i'll be looking for a copy.!

Thanks again to you all 👍 Very useful infos here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2