Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with M-1 Markings?

Article about: I picked up this VN era M1 shell last week, while on vacation. Intent was to take the chin strap off and use to complete our other M-1 and toss this shell in the closet or use as a flower po

Default Help with M-1 Markings?

I picked up this VN era M1 shell last week, while on vacation. Intent was to take the chin strap off and use to complete our other M-1 and toss this shell in the closet or use as a flower pot etc. However, after thinking about it, I figured I’d better let the experts take a look at the markings on it, which I first dismissed as child’s play and very well may turn out to be. But, then again, maybe not!

The white, on the back of the shell, where it looks like something was taped on the back, is almost cement like. I have not tried removing it yet, thought I’d better leave that alone too for now in case it has some significant.

How about that vertical, off centered, yellow stripe, possibly an officers rank strip awaiting for the next promotion to have another stripe planted on next to it, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Help with M-1 Markings?

Help with M-1 Markings?

Help with M-1 Markings?

Help with M-1 Markings?

Help with M-1 Markings?

Help with M-1 Markings?

Help with M-1 Markings?

So to the M-1 experts, are these marking on front just child’s play or of some relevance? Please give me your opinion.

Thanks,

Russ

?

Default Re: Help with M-1 Markings?

well a can tell you the white markings are glue residue this is from duct tape attached to the front & back which would then have the persons name written on the tape for training purposes take a look at one i use to have

help needed with an M-1 helmet ????????

& this one i still have

My new M-1 i shall call him frankenstein

as for the other markings im not sure ?

Thanks Nick, I was thinking down those lines, something taped on for some reason or other. I got to tell you though, the white residual stuff, on the back of the lid is THICK, almost like a paste, nothing I would expect from any kind of tape, but I still have to agree, what ever it is must of had to do with adhearing a name tag of sorts to the lid.

Hope someone chimes in on the other markings. From looking at the black insigna, it appears that this was on the shell before any of the tape was applied, maybe indicating that this shell found it's way, from active field duty, to a training situation maybe? I am also intruged by the off centered yellow stripe.

Learing as we go.....

Russ

NCA
    ?

Those black markings look kind of like US Air force stripes for a sergeant...just missing the star in the middle.