Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed on M1 U.S helmet

Article about: So, I am thinking about getting my first M1 U.S helmet, but I am a bit stumped, M1 helmets are not exactly a field I know a huge amount about, so I decided to ask for some help from people w

?

Smile Help needed on M1 U.S helmet

So, I am thinking about getting my first M1 U.S helmet, but I am a bit stumped, M1 helmets are not exactly a field I know a huge amount about, so I decided to ask for some help from people who do know a huge amount about M1 helmets.
    SO, the heat stamp is 335A, so the shell was made in WW2, but the chinstrap is Vietnam era, was it recommissioned or do I just have wrong information and its, for example a Korean War helmet or something.
    (Sorry, I don't have any pictures, the product is online, I tried to put the pictures on here but I couldn't upload the pictures online to a file.)

Hope you all have a good day, greetings from North Carolina, U.S.

I am not a helmet guy at all but I do have a helmet which sounds
    similar to yours. Mine is a front seam / swivel bales style that is a code that I think
    reads 844G. It has a 1956 dated liner and a VN style Mitchel cover on it.

When I posted it several years ago, I was told the M1s were issued an reissued many times
    through out their service life (up through Vietnam)and that it was not uncommon to see such a
    miss-match of parts.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Ethan the helmet (Only)is a ww2 helmet that has stayed in use into the Vietnam era. The chinstrap is Vietnam era. The helmet configuration is very common, now the question is do you want a correct WW2 example or just a m1 helmet either way is fine.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

For a WWII hemet shell and chin strap it is best to get one with a properly bar-tacked strap. Later straps were clipped on. NH

?

Thank you all for responding, I hope you all have a good day.
    I think I will probably make the helmet I was looking at a new addition to my collection.
    Again, thank you all for responding, you're responses have been very helpful.

You can work on the helmet over time to make it all WWII era. As an example, I put this helmet together from parts. The shell came with bar-tacked chin strap. I located an original liner and replaced the Vietnam era sweat band with a WWII dated one. The net came from a dealer site that had a lot of WWII era items that were unissued. It now has a liner chin strap from the Korea period that I intend to update. NH

Help needed on M1 U.S helmetHelp needed on M1 U.S helmet

?

Quote by Neil Hever View Post
    You can work on the helmet over time to make it all WWII era. As an example, I put this helmet together from parts. The shell came with bar-tacked chin strap. I located an original liner and replaced the Vietnam era sweat band with a WWII dated one. The net came from a dealer site that had a lot of WWII era items that were unissued. It now has a liner chin strap from the Korea period that I intend to update. NH

Help needed on M1 U.S helmetHelp needed on M1 U.S helmet
    . Very good job putting the helmet together! I may do this eventually.

I have a few here, if you want a period ww2 set i would wait, firstly the original straps are not easy to get then have them bar tacked, then it may well have been over painted, there are plenty out there with original finish just bide your time.