Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Help needed with US M-1 liner

Article about: Hi guys I have a US M-1 liner but I'm not sure from which period. Does anyone know when this liner was in use?

Quote by plumbob View Post
    That's the trouble with M1s and liners. they could have been used to numerous people in different branch's over the decades since manufacture. This is why I never comment on when a helmet may have been repainted or when a stencil may have been added.
    I've got a 1943 westinghouse made liner which was issued to a British soldier for his tour of Cyprus in 1985.
    Just shows how long these have been knocked about.
    you never know what else may be below that repaint.
    all the best
    Rod
    That's the good old United Nations for you, environmentally friendly re-cycling but not very up to date! The British Army was rolling the Mk VI out by then!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I agree this is a nice WWII liner and the missing parts are not too hard to find. Depending on what you intend to set it up as in terms of period, later (maybe Korea / early VN) is probably better because of uncertainty over the repaint as these were used over such a long time and overlapping the later low dome type. Just make sure all the pieces you add are from the same period. I suppose it is possible because the missing parts are replaceable that a soldier as late as the early 80's might have had a WWII helmet with parts from the intervening years but this would be less attractive to collectors.
    Yours seems to have the male halves of all four press studs of the missing nape strap still in place. Be very careful when removing these or you may pull the female half out too. You should try to lever them out by introducing a thin edge between the two halves. I find a pair of small wire cutting pliers gently squeezed, released, rotated and squeezed again is most effective if you follow what I mean. This prises apart the halves but does not stress the age weakened interface between the female half and the liner webbing.

Regards

Mark
    PS Later parts are cheaper than wartime ones too!!!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-10-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Good advice from Mark regarding the removal of snaps on the nape. Use caution. I made the effort to put my liner back together with WWII components. It is possible but can be pricey. The worst item to replace is the liner chin strap. However, if you are OK with a post war or repro you can come up with something attractive. Here are photos of my M1 put back together with original nape strap, sweat band and camo net. Still looking for the shell chin strap! NH

Help needed with US M-1 liner

Here's one example of available "spares"

NEW WWII U.S. ARMY M-1 HELMET LINER NAPE STRAP - MED.

Along with the liner chinstrap the sweatband is also quite hard to find and is usually expensive if you want original WWII but if you aim to complete a later configuration (Korea for instance) the price comes down and the availability goes up considerably.

Regards

Mark

Agree with the guys here nice period liner, also the parts are available as stated but can be costly having been through this myself, i think in hindsight its best to source a complete one.
    ps, Has anyone heard from Jake (Ruddersrangers) Not posted for a while hope he is Ok his knowledge with m1`s is second to none.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2