Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help required with M1 Korean issue.

Article about: Hi Guys, Here's another M1 from my collection. Korean issue,all standard really, except.... I'm wondering if any one can answer a question i have? The liner is puzzling me, It appears to hav

Question Help required with M1 Korean issue.

Hi Guys,

Here's another M1 from my collection.

Korean issue,all standard really, except....
    I'm wondering if any one can answer a question i have?
    The liner is puzzling me, It appears to have never been painted,or if someone did, they did a very good job of removing the finish. A while back i saw a similiar liner not painted, but i can't remember where,but i'm sure there was a reason for non painted liners... ..maybe i dreamt it ??

The second question is ,in the liner there a capac,westhouse?, and a D marking, how come you can have 3 different markings in one liner??

Anybody out there, can help??

Cheers
    Gaz
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help required with M1 Korean issue.   Help required with M1 Korean issue.  

Help required with M1 Korean issue.   Help required with M1 Korean issue.  

Help required with M1 Korean issue.   Help required with M1 Korean issue.  

Help required with M1 Korean issue.  

?

Default Re: Help required with M1 Korean issue.

On the liner as to it not having been painted then who knows, maybe its was a reissue liner which has been refurbished by a third party such as a QMD, hence the extra D 32 stamp (Depot 32 ?). Also quite a lot of early post WWII liners have Capac and Westinghouse markings on them I've heard two explanations for this

1/ there late WW2 surplus liners made by Westinghouse, that were molded but never webbed up and finished. Hence they still have the wartime style eyelet through the front. Then finshed off as part of a post war Capac contract sometime in the early 1950's.

2/ the Capac tooling was second hand and had been purchased from Westinghouse hence the tooling still had the Westinghouse markings, so all Capac did was to stamp there brand name over or near the original manufacturers logo.

I hope that helps Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

well i have a VN era liner that the paint just flaked off leaveing no evidence of it ever being paint so its possible it was painted at some point but like mine just came off ????????

im not sure what what the D signifies but the CAPAC & WESTINGHOUSE is correct see below

MODEL 1951/1952 LINER

Manufactured by both Capac and Westinghouse (Micarta Division only) these M-1 helmet liners are identical to the WWII liner except that the internal HBT cloth is a dark green olive drab #7. These liners are identified by two types of manufacturer stamps, on set of "W" and "CAPAC" are embossed into the crown and the other is an ink stamp of the word "MICARTA" that is attached to the interior of the liner.

Quote by Nige H View Post
    On the liner as to it not having been painted then who knows, maybe its was a reissue liner which has been refurbished by a third party such as a QMD, hence the extra D 32 stamp (Depot 32 ?). Also quite a lot of early post WWII liners have Capac and Westinghouse markings on them I've heard two explanations for this

1/ there late WW2 surplus liners made by Westinghouse, that were molded but never webbed up and finished. Hence they still have the wartime style eyelet through the front. Then finshed off as part of a post war Capac contract sometime in the early 1950's.

2/ the Capac tooling was second hand and had been purchased from Westinghouse hence the tooling still had the Westinghouse markings, so all Capac did was to stamp there brand name over or near the original manufacturers logo.

I hope that helps Nige.
    Hi Nige,
    Yeah thanks mate, that's really useful info, gives me something to go on, i will do some research !!!!!

Cheers
    Gaz.

Quote by NickD View Post
    well i have a VN era liner that the paint just flaked off leaveing no evidence of it ever being paint so its possible it was painted at some point but like mine just came off ????????

im not sure what what the D signifies but the CAPAC & WESTINGHOUSE is correct see below
    Hi Nick,

Cheers mate good info , as before i will do my research, if i find out anything that's worth sharing i will post some info. thanks again

Gaz

ronl
    ?

Nice KW era helmet. I think the first reply concerning the left over shells from WW2 is the correct one. I've seen many unpainted liners from the WW2 era. The paint they used didn't stick well anyway. The D 32 is just a lot number. I have 3 KW era complete, correct pots, including one AB, and they are marked similarly just different lot numbers. I think the true KW pots are much harder to come by than WW2 ones. Try finding a KW sweatband for one, you don't see to many of those. Once again, nice pot!

Hi,

I have some similar helmets. If the textiles neckband, sweatband etc, have no US specific markings it may be also one of the first helmets used e.g. by the dutch army. The green of the liner textiles looks different from corean ones.

Look my webalbum.

Quote by ronl View Post
    Nice KW era helmet. I think the first reply concerning the left over shells from WW2 is the correct one. I've seen many unpainted liners from the WW2 era. The paint they used didn't stick well anyway. The D 32 is just a lot number. I have 3 KW era complete, correct pots, including one AB, and they are marked similarly just different lot numbers. I think the true KW pots are much harder to come by than WW2 ones. Try finding a KW sweatband for one, you don't see to many of those. Once again, nice pot!
    Hi Mate,
    I have carried out research since i posted this one,along with the excellent input from everybody,it would appear that this liner was a late ww2 liner , which was restamped by CAPAC in 1951/52 hence the two manafacturers markings, i bought a book ............ The M1 Helmet by Mark A Reynosa , which covers ww2 through to Korea, thanks for all your input.. if you have'nt got this book ..get it .. it's worth every penny... if you have'nt got it maybe i can help you out with sharing info from the book!

Cheers
    Gaz

Quote by merluzza View Post
    Hi,

I have some similar helmets. If the textiles neckband, sweatband etc, have no US specific markings it may be also one of the first helmets used e.g. by the dutch army. The green of the liner textiles looks different from corean ones.

Look my webalbum.
    Hi mate,

Yes ,you are right the Korean ones are very similiar to Dutch liners,
    But the Belgian ones are the closest match to US Liners......

Cheers
    Gaz.

Thanks Gaz,

Reynosas books are great, have them both for war and post war helmets.

Can you help me with the M1 clones? - have a look at my profile/ the photo album
    Tx
    merluzza

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast