Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Information about a liner chinstrap

Article about: Hi there, I am in the market for a WW2 period leather chinstrap and would like some information about a particular example. Any information about the authenticity and possible time it was ma

Default Information about a liner chinstrap

Hi there,

I am in the market for a WW2 period leather chinstrap and would like some information about a particular example.
    Any information about the authenticity and possible time it was made would be of much help. I hope the photos are alright to judge the strap.

Thanks in advance!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Information about a liner chinstrap   Information about a liner chinstrap  

Information about a liner chinstrap   Information about a liner chinstrap  

Information about a liner chinstrap  

MAP
    ?

This might answer your question.

United Carr and DOT/Anchor Stamped Leather Liner Chinstraps - STEEL AND KEVLAR HELMETS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Have you looked under the steel buckle? Is there an anchor emblem.

If you can't view the above line....here is the text......

"I know this has been posted a couple of times before but there is an interesting read on eBay regarding DOT and Anchor stamped leather liner chinstraps:

Basically, a March-April 1945 dated crate filled with unissued M1 helmets was found and it also contained CAPAC liners and DOT/Anchor stamped leather liner chinstraps. It's interesting that the rivets are brass (indicated by the green corrosion) while the buckle is steel.

I own a pair of unissued DOT/Anchor stamped leather liner chinstraps from a 63/64 dated crate and the all the hardware appears to be steel.

Were all leather liner chinstraps with brass rivets used during WW2? Probably not, but it definitely shows that DOT/Anchor stamped liner chinstraps were produced during very late wartime period despite being labelled as "Post-War".

Also, I know that some hardware was re-used for Korea. Pictured below is my leather liner chinstrap that has United Carr stamped rivets and a steel buckle with an Anchor stamp. This strap came on a late WW2 liner that was re-issued for Korea."

And the reply.....

"as I remember dot is united carr, they changed to DOT in 1945 however most folks consider them to be post war in the same way they consider rear seam shells to be post war or T1 ball and hooks to be post war. they were so late that they probably did not arrive in number until the war was pretty well over. this is in regards to the ETO, many folks think that rear seems did make it to the PTO in number and in time. as for anchor marked straps, they seem to have poped up mid to late war and you will find green steel buckles with the anchor marking pretty frequently. blackened brass and green coated as well as Brown coated steel hardware was used during ww2 for both buckles and rivets however black coated steel buckles and also A washers on liners are uncommon. it also seems from what I have seen that Westinghouse was the only one to use black coated steel A washers during the war and late war at that."
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the reply. However, it is not of much use since the buckle is definetly made of brass. It has a lot of green corrosion on the inside. If I understand it correctly this means it needs to be a WW2 period piece then, right?

I added the picture of the buckle. You can probably see what I mean then.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Information about a liner chinstrap  

The lighting is throwing me off, If the buckle is black on brass it will be a late WW2 chinstrap, if green it’s early WW2.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Alright! It seems to be black, so I guess that means late war period. From your comment I take it you are positive that it is a period piece then?