Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Interesting.......

Article about: Good People of the Forum. Below are some photographs of a recent sale on Ebay. I had a very lively conversation with the seller. It sold for £600. May I ask for your opinions? eBay - The UK'

?

Default Re: Interesting.......

My thoughts on it, well the liner looks good, not sure about the about the chincup, the wear looks a little odd. I believe the decals have been added, and the whole rig has been assembled from mostly original parts. For me, the decal has ruined it. That, of course is just my humble opinion, I have never owned one and I am by no means an expert on them, but if it is all correct, then £600 is surely the bargain of a lifetime.

Kind Regards,

Andy

Adrian, the helmet that this one is trying to portray is one of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment of the 101st Airborne Division, which is the unit that was portrayed in Band of Brothers. These are M1 helmet faker's favorites.

I can't say I like this one, sorry.

?

this lid was sort of discussed here fake 101st 506 PIR fixed bale - U.S. Militaria Forum & deemed a fake straight away to many of these types of lids have come up so much so that even if the real deal did turn up people would be very skeptical of it with out 100% proof of originality.

?

Fake insignia, though many of the parts seem original to me.

Nitram

you must know something i dont then nick because as far as im aware there has NEVER EVER been any written or conclusive proof that Mccords ever added para(dot fastener)chinstraps to a fixed bale lid.only D bales and M1C's so the bottom line here is the winning bidder may just as well gone to co_b collectibles on ebay and got a nice d-bale coversion for £200 that really looks the business instead of wasteing 3 times that amount on something which is exactly the same anyway.

I agree with Minnie - the new owner would have been better off buying a known repro
    to begin with, but he probably thinks this one is an original. It's an expensive display
    piece and will probably look quite convincing in a darkened office or den.

I believe the net is a repro too, because I have one exactly like it.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    you must know something i dont then nick because as far as im aware there has NEVER EVER been any written or conclusive proof that Mccords ever added para(dot fastener)chinstraps to a fixed bale lid.only D bales and M1C's so the bottom line here is the winning bidder may just as well gone to co_b collectibles on ebay and got a nice d-bale coversion for £200 that really looks the business instead of wasteing 3 times that amount on something which is exactly the same anyway.
    not really sure what what you mean but all i said was it was discussed on another forum & that this type of lid is faked all the time i never made any observations about the lid in question ?

?

It's interesting to note the reply I received when I questioned the seller on the helmets authenticity, and I quote:

You obviously know nothing about paratrooper helemets. This is an original and if you did your research correctly then you would know it. Everything on this is correct and many collectors have seen it and have told me so. As I said in my last message there were many field conversions and all the fittings are original and correct. So please stick to running around in your Soldier Of Fortune repro kit playing soldiers.

Of course, I was so upset at the abrupt tone that I had to redo all my cam cream.

Best Regards,

Andy

?

Well, that answers that once and for all.

Nitram

got that spot on nitram, sellers just dont like it when you hit them hard,the seller knows its a fake why else would he be trying to off load it on ebay the biggest dumping ground on the planet for pushing out rubbish,also if you really knew it was genuine then im sorry but i personally would put it in a military auction where the top M1 collectors would bid and it would then make 10 times that on ebay,dave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast