Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Junk shop found M1

Article about: Hi George This would be a late ww2 helmet Regards Gary

Default Re: Junk shop found M1

Quote by aj4010 View Post
    Not quite, it is post 1945.

Best Regards,

Andy
    The seam on the M1 pot was moved to the rear in 1944. Jim G.

?

Indeed it was. Corrected of course.

Best Regards,

Andy

?

That's true. In 1945, rear seams were made but that was the only year until 1965 when the next production of M-1's were made. No M-1's were made between 1946 until 1965 so all the Korean War helmets were of WW2 issue. With that color sceme, it appears to be Viet-Nam era, but many older helmets were repainted to confirm to uniformity. So it can be difficult to determin exactly what year or era a rear seam was produced unless it was issued to a vet at a particular time and even then... It's still a nice lid anyways. I myself have 4, 2 front seam and 2 rear seam, with various chinstraps.

Wow denfly very precise account of the production life of the "M1"helmet not too sure how you find your info,but would strongly suggest changing it immediately as most of what you have stated above is completely incorrect......regards Dave.

?

Slow down there denfly, that's a lot of incorrect information.

Best Regards,

Andy

Gary, I see you are from Kent - hence the term Biro. In America that translates to ink pen! And for George, the things that make an M1 WWII era helmet are the color paint with cork, the cloth chin strap bar tacked onto the shell, the liner details including the nape strap in the back, the vent hole in the front among other things. But M1 helmets from all periods were re-issued over time. I'm not 100 percent sure on this one and will leave it to others to provide details. There are some good web sites with lots of info on the M1. NH

as stated above alot of what you have said denfly is not correct .cheers

- - Updated - -

when it comes to M1 info i recommend asking NickD he knows just about everything there is to know on m1's .regards

?

Hi Guys.

There is a lot of info coming about this,And I appreciate all,Good or bad,Im sure in the end the truth will out.
    I will have another look for any markings on the pot,I know its not Vietnam era manufactured,As I 'Believe' These were slightly different in construction,The helmet was not as deep as ww2 manufacture,And peak was also shorter and liner was completly different.But im sure someone will advise me on this.

Gary

Hi Gary just find the heat lot number which should be around the 1160-1280,then you will know for sure......regards Dave.

daves right get the heat lot number and we should get a idea from that atleast personally i dont think yours is vietnam but we shall see

- - Updated - -

daves right get the heat lot number and we should get a idea from that atleast personally i dont think yours is vietnam but we shall see

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast