Default Re: Junk shop found M1

Hi Nick

Thanks for your input.

Regards Gary.

Quote by NickD View Post
    with that heat stamp you're looking at a rough date of about march 1945

Hello Mossie,

just read this entire thread without realising you are from England. That's a great cheap find mate and especially for over here where everything seems overpriced, particularly in junk shops! Well done.

wow 20 pounds ! thats a amazing price ! good find !

?

Hi canti44

Yes prices have roared since the first M1 I bought in the Eighties,Im not a collector as such,Just a Re-enactor.
    But I am really happy with this and will keep it on a shelf,My son who is now coming into the hobby is learning a few things now as well.

I would like to thank everyone one this thread,For all their input and help.

Regards Gary

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Hello Mossie,

just read this entire thread without realising you are from England. That's a great cheap find mate and especially for over here where everything seems overpriced, particularly in junk shops! Well done.

?

Quote by denfly View Post
    I stand corrected. There were other production dates from 1950-1961 and 1961-1965 then 1965-1972. I see why folks tell me not to rely too much on Wikipedia.org. I guess I should stick with the M1917 models which I know a bit better than the M1's.
    M1's are not that difficult, and don't worry about the dodgy info, we all do it on occasion, (just me more than most!) Wikipedia being a problem . We wouldn't learn otherwise.

Best Regards,

Andy

?

What's funny is I spent 21 yrs. in the Army with the first 7 wearing, using, storing and issuing the M1. It never occured to me about front or rear seams, swivel bale and fixed bales. Tan straps, green ones etc. Now that I am out i'm learning more about it than when I was in. Of the four I salvaged from my days one, a rear seamer has the numbers 7343 stamped inside. The other has 628 stamped also a rear seamer. Any idea of it's era?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5