Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!

Article about: Marty, I am not saying the Marines didn't mark anything. They did and I have several pieces of Marine marked field gear. Marines actually had some items marked as early as the Spanish Americ

Default Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!

Hi everyone my name is Chad, and I'm new to this site. Today I bought a M-1 swivel bale helmet and liner. The helmet is a Mc Cord. It has good paint, a front seam, stainless rim. The liner looks like it's in really good condition The leather looks new, but it has a eyelet. I was wondering the year it was made, I know this is difficlut to do. I don't have the book with the chart on page 27. The heat stamp is 1096F. Should I purchase a net to cover the helmet, would this be correct for the year it was made? Sorry for the trouble. I think I made a good purchase.

Thanks abunch,
    Chad

?

Default Re: Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!

Pictures would be nice.
    SteveR

I will try to upload some.

Here are some pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!  Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!  Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!  Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!  Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!  Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!  Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!  Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date! 

?

with that heat stamp number it puts it roughly around November 1944.

looks like its in an unissued condition from those pic's very nice

?

That helmet looks very nice. I am intersted in what markings are stamped on the sweat band and on the nape strape. The nape strap looks to be the adjustable type and that would be late war. Can you identify the maker of the liner?

Josey

Quote by USMCCHAD View Post
    Hi everyone my name is Chad, and I'm new to this site. Today I bought a M-1 swivel bale helmet and liner. The helmet is a Mc Cord. It has good paint, a front seam, stainless rim. The liner looks like it's in really good condition The leather looks new, but it has a eyelet. I was wondering the year it was made, I know this is difficlut to do. I don't have the book with the chart on page 27. The heat stamp is 1096F. Should I purchase a net to cover the helmet, would this be correct for the year it was made? Sorry for the trouble. I think I made a good purchase.

Thanks abunch,
    Chad
    a net would be ok, or my favorite on my only 2 front seams that I have the brown side of a USMC cover, that is what I just finished doing a little while ago, changing both my front seams to the only 2 USMC covers. luckily I had 2 ww2 leather chin straps in the black color with the anchor on the metal . don 't know why but I like the brown side of those covers the best. I do have an early rear seam, with the dark color od paint, on that one I have a net, but it has a light brown repro leather chin strap. then last I have 5 rear seams with Mitchell pattern covers from Veit Nam, 2 on the brown side, 3 on the green side & one post viet nam with a woodland cover, but it has hardly any black in the cammo. plus I have 5 extra Mitchell covers, one of them has a peace sign drawn on the right side. but whatever you decide, good luck. get whatever pleases you the most. really great looking lid you have though. you made a good buy, m-1's in decent shape are getting more scarce now.
    regards Marty

Duh. You like the brown color cause that was what would have been used at IWO .
    LOL

Quote by ncblksmth1 View Post
    Duh. You like the brown color cause that was what would have been used at IWO .
    LOL
    hey they didn't issue which side you had to wear, I just like the brown side better, just like the Mitchells actually I like the brown side of those better, but they would have stood out in Nam. so there. LOL.

?

Quote by crazy horse View Post
    luckily I had 2 ww2 leather chin straps in the black color with the anchor on the metal .
    regards Marty
    hiya mate

the leather chin straps that have the anchor stamped on the buckle are Korean war era not WW2 but they do look pretty much the same & make good replacement straps for display purposes

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast