Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!

Article about: Marty, I am not saying the Marines didn't mark anything. They did and I have several pieces of Marine marked field gear. Marines actually had some items marked as early as the Spanish Americ

Default Re: Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!

Quote by NickD View Post
    hiya mate

the leather chin straps that have the anchor stamped on the buckle are Korean war era not WW2 but they do look pretty much the same & make good replacement straps for display purposes
    thanks NICK D, I didn't know thast, but I had a doubt , because they advertize them as ww2, but I had mainly seen them in the Korean war section, but I liked them in black any way. I did get a brown strap with one of my front seam helmets, but it was so shrunk & dried up , it broke when I tried to ease it off the liner, oh well I did keep the metal off of it. thanks appreciate you confirming what I had suspected.
    regards Marty

?

no worries mate

original WW2 versions are very hard to get hold of & when they do come up they can go alot of money its the one part of the M-1 that ive never been able to replace because of that !

Hi,

If you search documentations of the US M1 helmet, (french or english) :

M1 HELMET
    Régis GIARD & Frédéric BLAIS

Histoire & Collections
    5, avenue de la République
    F-75541 Paris Cedex 11
    Histoire & Collections - Livres et revues
    My opinion: good book, but not complete

And a SUPER documentation book in french AND english, but only for M1 helmets with fixed ball :

M-1 HELMET
    of the WW2 US GI
    by Pieter Oosterman
    www.M-1 Helmet.com

Regards
    Carfin

I didn't know the straps had markings on them sorry. The nape strap has a bunch of numbers on the top and below that USMC-1945. I love that it has USMC, a little plus for me! The sweatband has POWELL and below that 1942. Is this a set or different straps to complete a liner. Different dates?hmmm. and forgot to mention the liner is a westinghouse. a circle with a W in it and a oval below the W. Thanks Chad what would the value be for this helmet also. I paid $115 for it. im happy though!

Quote by Josey View Post
    That helmet looks very nice. I am intersted in what markings are stamped on the sweat band and on the nape strape. The nape strap looks to be the adjustable type and that would be late war. Can you identify the maker of the liner?

Josey
    I didn't know the straps had markings on them sorry. The nape strap has a bunch of numbers on the top and below that USMC-1945. I love that it has USMC, a little plus for me! The sweatband has POWELL and below that 1942. Is this a set or different straps to complete a liner. Different dates?hmmm. and forgot to mention the liner is a westinghouse. a circle with a W in it and a oval below the W. Thanks Chad what would the value be for this helmet also. I paid $115 for it. im happy though!

Quote by Josey View Post
    That helmet looks very nice. I am intersted in what markings are stamped on the sweat band and on the nape strape. The nape strap looks to be the adjustable type and that would be late war. Can you identify the maker of the liner?

Josey
    I didn't know the straps had markings on them sorry. The nape strap has a bunch of numbers on the top and below that USMC-1945. I love that it has USMC, a little plus for me! The sweatband has POWELL and below that 1942. Is this a set or different straps to complete a liner. Different dates?hmmm. and forgot to mention the liner is a westinghouse. a circle with a W in it and a oval below the W. Thanks what would the value be for this helmet also. I paid $115 for it. im happy though!

Quote by NickD View Post
    with that heat stamp number it puts it roughly around November 1944.

looks like its in an unissued condition from those pic's very nice
    Thanks for the date. I will purchase that book. Looks like i cought the militaria fever back out tomorrow to look.

?

Chad,

A '42 dated headband in the condition yours is in is very hard to come by and is easily worth what you paid for the entire helmet and liner.

What did concern me was you stated that the nape strape was marked USMC. I do not believe there were any marked specifically to the USMC. Please check agian and see if it might be marked S.M.C. instead. I attached a photo of what it may look like.

Josey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Just bought a m-1 helmet and I need help on the date!  

Hi,

The nape on the photo is a "Scholl Manufacturing Company" fabrication, with zinc coated steel and blackened brass snaps bearing number "W11-009 qm 16874. A batch nearly 4 milion napes contracted on october 28, 1943.
    Regards.
    Carfin.

I have 2 sets of engineer, or sapper wire cutters, man they are not cheap, but one is army in a green pouch it is marked U.S. & 1944 on the pouch & he cutters, but then I have a blank brown pouch, but the cutters are marked U.S.M.C., when I asked the guy why there was no date on the pouch, he told me that the marines didn't mark anything until 1944? don't know but thats what he said.
    regards Marty

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast